Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Who knows stuff about Kegerators?

phresh you just had a bad keg, Ive driken keg beer, that was in a kegarator that was 4 months old, and it was still good. Ive drinken handtapped kegs, cooled, tapped, then left in the backyard for a few weeks, that werent horrible.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 PM

I've built a few and currently have a giant chest freezer with temp. regulator that's just waiting for me to buy enough corny kegs to fill it.

CSC,

In general, its a huge waste of money to buy one instead of build your own. If you're willing to put a week or two into finding a fridge (I've gotten all of my fridges for free off craigslist), then you can build your own in a couple hours for a fraction of the price of buying a manufactured one. If you've got a bunch of people chipping in, and nobody lives in the area or wants to put the time in, then I can understand just shelling out the money, but I'd never do it myself. Another thing to consider is that buying the CO2 tank to ship with the reset is often way more expensive than just going to a local welding supply place and buying it, because the tank, even empty, is heavy as [censored]. In any case, the tap, shank, regulator, hoses, and various other parts will definitely run under $200 even with a lot of options, not $250 as someone else said.

Lastly, the two tap configuration is going to be a waste unless the recipient is a homebrewer. You can't get two commercial kegs in a mini-fridge with the very rare exception of microbrewers who both keg cornies and let you buy them.

[ QUOTE ]
How long does the beer last in these things?[ QUOTE ]

50 Days is the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no idea what you're talking about. If it stays cold, it will stay "good" as in "Won't kill you" for practically forever. It will stay "good" as in "Not skunky" for 4-5 months or maybe longer. For those who have had skunky keg beer, either it went through temperature fluctuations or, far more likely, the lines were filthy. I clean all my lines either once a month or between kegs, whichever comes first. But I'm pretty anal about it and would bet that most people with kegs - including bars - don't do it nearly as often as they should. Without cleaning, you'll get beer stone, mold, bacteria, and all sorts of other nasty deposits built up in your lines, so you'll essentially be filtering your kegged beer through filth. Not tasty.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 PM

You can usually get CO2 from a liquor store. Try a big one near a university. The deposit on the tank is around $50 plus $35ish for the gas.

A bar I used to work at was undergoing renovation. They ripped out the old lines, which ran from the bar to down in the basement.

We found a cockroach skeleton inside one of the lines.

As always, when drinking/dining out, ignorance is bliss.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 AM

What kind of variety do most large liquor stores have for kegs - just the basic ones? Would they normally be able to special order kegs of, for example, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Cherry Wheat, etc.?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 AM

Check out Bevmo if they have any by you, pretty decent selection of kegs, and if they don't have it they can prob. order it.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of variety do most large liquor stores have for kegs - just the basic ones? Would they normally be able to special order kegs of, for example, Sam Adams Summer Ale, Cherry Wheat, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ] It obviously depends on where you live. Most distributers will special order kegs for you from beer they already sell, but be prepared to pay through the nose.

I've become kind of strange with mine. I go through about a quarter a month. So every month I call up the beer store and ask when the Yuengling truck is coming by (I only live an hour from the brewery) I head over have them take a quarter fresh from the brewery off of the truck and tap that. Nector of the gods.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Other thing with specialty beers is you may need a different tap than the American Sankey "D". Alot of imports and certain special domestics require a different tap.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM

whats with all the people talking bout the cheapest way to make your own kegerator? Come on where's the baller mentality?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've built a few and currently have a giant chest freezer with temp. regulator that's just waiting for me to buy enough corny kegs to fill it.

CSC,

In general, its a huge waste of money to buy one instead of build your own. If you're willing to put a week or two into finding a fridge (I've gotten all of my fridges for free off craigslist), then you can build your own in a couple hours for a fraction of the price of buying a manufactured one. If you've got a bunch of people chipping in, and nobody lives in the area or wants to put the time in, then I can understand just shelling out the money, but I'd never do it myself. Another thing to consider is that buying the CO2 tank to ship with the reset is often way more expensive than just going to a local welding supply place and buying it, because the tank, even empty, is heavy as [censored]. In any case, the tap, shank, regulator, hoses, and various other parts will definitely run under $200 even with a lot of options, not $250 as someone else said.

Lastly, the two tap configuration is going to be a waste unless the recipient is a homebrewer. You can't get two commercial kegs in a mini-fridge with the very rare exception of microbrewers who both keg cornies and let you buy them.

[ QUOTE ]
How long does the beer last in these things?[ QUOTE ]

50 Days is the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no idea what you're talking about. If it stays cold, it will stay "good" as in "Won't kill you" for practically forever. It will stay "good" as in "Not skunky" for 4-5 months or maybe longer. For those who have had skunky keg beer, either it went through temperature fluctuations or, far more likely, the lines were filthy. I clean all my lines either once a month or between kegs, whichever comes first. But I'm pretty anal about it and would bet that most people with kegs - including bars - don't do it nearly as often as they should. Without cleaning, you'll get beer stone, mold, bacteria, and all sorts of other nasty deposits built up in your lines, so you'll essentially be filtering your kegged beer through filth. Not tasty.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when there is a thread like this, and no one knows what they are talking about really, and then someone posts a smackdown w/ the information that the OP needs. RDH is spot on.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Nice post RDH. I did, in fact, spend over $200 on my set up. But this was a set up that ran across a house and came out at a faucet in the kitchen sink right next to the water.

Looking at bad beetz's kegeratorshop.com it looks like his basic DIY set up is $190. So I'm not sure how much cheaper you can find this stuff for. Like I said, I did this just once, in college- and also got my fridge for free. It was curbside though, before I knew about craigslist. What should one expect to pay for all the parts? Much less than $190?

Someone also pointed out getting a CO2 tank filled at a liquor store for $35. I think we paid $7 to get ours filled at a welding shop, and they were large tanks. A refill was either $14 for both or $14 for one, I can't recall because I only had to get a refill once or twice, and we went through quite a few kegs.

Since homebrewing was mentioned in here I'd like to add there's a Home Brewing Thread in EDF right now. I know it's been done before, but I'd like to hear what people have been brewing.