Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM

Default Fashion - Going Out (Without Coming Out!)

I've been thinking about making another fashion thread since I learned so much when I started a thread on jeans a while back. I'm looking to pool 2+2's collective knowledge to get some better ideas on what to wear "out." "Out" means many things, and I am looking for ideas on most all of them. We already have a thread running on business dress, so we don't need to focus on that here, other than, for example, differences in your choice of suit between going out and going to work. I have no doubt that discussion of specific brands will come up, and that's certainly good, although I would like to focus more on getting the right look than getting the right label. Here are some questions and ideas to kick things off:

You're on a first date with a girl. You're meeting for a cup of coffee. What do you wear? Does this change if you're going to a bar for a couple drinks?

One outfit I've seen mentioned here is a designer t-shrit, sport coat, and jeans. What goes into the choice of each to properly "rock" (as they say) this look? Or perhaps has this already entered the realm of the passe?

Speaking of which, what are common fashion mistakes made by 18-35 year old males? What things have gone out of style that are still seen far too often (for example, tapered-leg jeans)?

Where do you draw the line between label-whoring and getting good stuff? Where can you find good stuff if you don't quite have the balla roll of a SIHB or the esteemed forum sponsor?

You're going out to a party or a club or whatever where a suit and tie is definitely too formal, but you still want to dress to impress. What do you wear?

Shoes: beyond sneakers and basic dress shoes, what do you look for, and how do you pair them w/ the rest of your outfit properly?

What are some simple ways for a t-shirt and jeans guy to spice up his wardrobe a bit?

And by request, how do the answers to the above change if you're (a) skinny, (b) muscular, (c) slightly overweight, or (d) obese?

These are some suggestions to get things started, so if you have additional questions along these lines ask away.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Fashion - Going Out (Without Coming Out!)

Wookie,

I'll come back and offer some more extensive thoughts/opinions later, but I'll start out with one comment. I think very few people look good in the hipster t-shirt/sport coat/jeans look. Most look very "trying too hard" to me. It does work for IndieMatty, though.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM

MW, I wear something close to a uniform. Jeans and sweater in the winter, jeans/shorts and linen shirt in the summer. Sometimes I'll wear a t-shirt that's just a solid color (usually blue or green or black). Sweaters are usually solid, and nothing has any label or other implicit advertising. Shoes are standard and never sneakers. I'm 32.

If I'm going to a nice dinner or something that is more formal but doesn't require a tie, I'll wear a blazer or sportcoat, usually grey flannel pants, and some sort of dress shirt. Usually the standard, original Gucci loafers with that.

A couple of years ago I totally effed up and didn't buy this great corduroy sportcoat. I would have worn that just about every day in the fall/spring.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM

I agree with your inkling. The jeans/ t-shirt and sports coat is a little old at this point. I prefer wearing a really thin indoor style jacket instead at this point, probably thinner than wearing a sweater.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:37 PM

Anyone have links to stores/sites where you could purchase online? Good return policy/low shipping costs preferable.. I really never know what to wear and hate shopping in stores.. I basically wear the same thing to school everyday.. Jeans, black shoes, brown coat and random old t-shirt undrneath.. would like to change things up a bit.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 PM

El D, ahnuld,

That was my impression, too, but some people seem to keep doing it, and some, like IndieMatty, allegedly pull it off. Is there anything in particular about their choice of apparel? Is it more that they've been doing it so long that it no longer looks like they're trying, and that it's their own style?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM

Well personally I feel alot of the guys who try to pull it off fail because they are liberal arts students who know nothing about business fashion and can't buy a sports coat that fits properly for their lives. It looks really stupid when its too small or they are swimming in it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM

Wookie, All,

I recently considered picking up a velvet blazer but backed out at the last moment as it just didn't feel right. However this could have just been a result of my insecurities.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM

Wook,

A lot of it has to do with the sizing, like Ahnuld suggests. It isn't always the clothes size, either.. body types matter. I think it generally works better on bigger guys than scrawny guys.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM

M,M:

Two recommendations:

Revolve - http://www.revolveclothing.com/index.jsp

They have lots of different designers. Probably my favorite online store.

Nordstrom - http://shop.nordstrom.com/

They are a good place to get started and also a good place if you easily get tired of shopping, because they don't try to carry tons of stuff, they take a sort of point of view on various styles and choose a few of them to carry. The tradeoff, of course, is that your selection is relatively limited. Still, for many guys, it's way more than enough stuff to choose from. I took a quick scan and it feels like there's a better selection in store than online, but it has been a little while since I went last, so not completely sure.