Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Ask El Diablo

OK, this is the catch-all place to ask any random question. I'll get to as much as I can.

Here's a well thread that is more focused on me and my poker that might be of interest to some in terms of background.

I don't want this thread to be about me, though. What I really had in mind was a place for people to ask questions about stuff you think I might be able to answer on topics like:

Restaurants
Alcohol
SF and NYC
Business
Business Travel
Startups
Venture Capital

and any other random crap you've seen me spout off about on these forums.

I get a ton of PMs asking questions like this, many of which I don't get around to. I figure I can tackle more questions this way.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Ask El Diablo

What do you squat?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:54 AM

El Diablo -

I have some questions regarding small family-owned "ethnic" restaurants in NYC. Is this something that you are qualified to comment on, or do you mostly stick to the mid and high end establishments? My questions relate to both the business aspects and some food questions. I am especially interested in Jamaican cuisine/locations.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 AM

Are you self employed?
If so, how are you able to get business? Word of mouth?
Youve said before that you run software start ups. Can you give an example of one of these companies and how you helped it succeed, and an example of one company that failed and why you feel it failed?
What are some non-software venture capital investments have you made?
Someone asked you before where to go for graduate school, and you said nowhere, can you expand on this?
How often do you pick up chicks in hotel bars?
Have you been/vacationed in any third world countries? If so, what did you like/dislike and think about them in general?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:02 AM

plz post picture of you without mask?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:06 AM

Hey D,

Any advice on apartment/condo searching in good areas of big cities? What is the best way to go about it, what are some specific things you would make sure of, and what are some red flags and things that should be avoided?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:08 AM

Hey D,

Im hopefully gonna be faced with a decision where to spend the next few years studying. It might come down to some combo of Chicago/Stanford/Berkeley/Harvard/MIT, hopefully. As a man of much travel, who lives in San Fran, what are your thoughts on what I should do?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM

What are some good (re: INTERESTING) business-related job opportunities for an 18 year old kid in the bay area? Pay is not important so long as it covers travel/food. I had one with a small firm called Vega Capital that I ended very poorly a while ago because the boss failed to keep up his end of our agreement. I have no resume but anyone that knows me knows that I am smart and work more efficiently than just about anyone when motivated.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM

AJ: Everyone I know in the last few years who has rented has gone through either friends or craigslist, both with much success. My experience is just in SF and NYC, though, where it's a completely ridiculous process. I imagine it's still a lot easier in most places. Only thing I'd really recommend is talking to people who actually live in the area.

Reef: I'm just a normal looking dude. Who needs more pictures of dudes?

chop: I love going to small places like that, but I don't know any Jamaican places in NYC. In NYC I'm generally going to nicer places since I'm usually travelling, but in SF I eat regularly at many local places like that.

ed: I haven't been squatting for the last three years or so since a really bad soccer ankle injury. I've never squatted huge amounts, though.

f2: Very good questions. I'll come back and respond later.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 AM

Web 2.0 questions;

What are the best sites you have found for web based collaboration?

Do you see more players entering this market, and being able to survive?

If you wanted to enter this market, would you look for revenue from charging for the collaboration services, or have it ad-based and try to get traffic?

Are you involved in any companies that will have a presence at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Fran?

would you buy GOOG right now at $495?

Also, being an individual, how to you go about brokering deals with large corporations? Heavily rely on reference? What if you don't have any?
Closed Thread