Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Senate blocks immigration bill

What the hell? I thought the vote was too close to call on whether they'd get the 60 votes. The supporters sounded cautiously optimistic.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell? I thought the vote was too close to call on whether they'd get the 60 votes. The supporters sounded cautiously optimistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the amendments that people wanted were shot down. My understanding is that the phones of key Senators were ringing off the hook protesting this law. This thing was rushed through basically (don't want to go into all the details) and I think that didn't sit well with a lot of Senators. Also I think once it was clear the bill was going to fail, some Senators jumped on the bandwagon so as to be on the record for opposing it. And there actually was opposition to this bill from Democratic Party supporters like Unions. Read a blurb in the DailyKos the other day blasting this bill. Not too many liked it, not many like Bush really, easiest thing to do is kill it.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Immigration Bill, Part 2

A small measure of respect in our representative republic was restored today upon the Senate's failure at cloture on this tragic illegal alien relief act. There was across-the-board public rejection of this bill in every cohort (save the illegal aliens) and yet our oh so enlightened legislators damn near railroaded it through. I'm reasonably sure there has been an all time record in Citizen to senator communication on this and it still has some small measure of weight.

Now, enforce the existing laws. It's not too difficult, is it?

Immigration into the US is utterly racist. If you're white or educated or otherwise law-abiding you are subject to draconian regulation and huge legal expense as well as the overhanging threat of deportation. If you're poor and brown, well, no worries. This is part of what Americans object to.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM

I can honestly say I was 100 % against this bill and amnesty.

But after reading posts here and seeing T.V. clips about the dairy industry in Wisconsin and the contribution these people make I am now for The immigration bill.

The story in Wisconsin Changed my opinion. That farmer pays illegals up to 32k a year with benefits. Which proves that americans have become too fat and lazy for their own good.

I was really wrong and thanks to 2+2 for opening my mind.

These people contribute more to america these days than Americans do.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But after reading posts here and seeing T.V. clips about the dairy industry in Wisconsin and the contribution these people make I am now for The immigration bill.

The story in Wisconsin Changed my opinion. That farmer pays illegals up to 32k a year with benefits. Which proves that americans have become too fat and lazy for their own good.

[/ QUOTE ]

LINK? or tell me what to search for? sounds interesting
Old 06-28-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LINK? or tell me what to search for? sounds interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Was on AFN. CNN I believe right after the Paris Interview

I can't find anything on the internet now about it but it was a great story. They even had the sheriff's office talking to the aliens about how to stay out of trouble so they won't get caught.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Immigration into the US is utterly racist. If you're white or educated or otherwise law-abiding you are subject to draconian regulation and huge legal expense as well as the overhanging threat of deportation. If you're poor and brown, well, no worries. This is part of what Americans object to.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. First off, immigrants from Latvia who immigrate illegally face exactly the same risks of deportation as Mexicans. The reason why many get entangled in bureaucracy is because they try to follow the rules. Mexicans who immigrate legally face the same problems. I'm sure far more Mexicans are deported than Europeans.

Second, the US government operates a lottery which awards tens of thousands of green cards to immigrants from countries that don't send many people to America. On top of this, to immigrate to America on an H1-B visa, you need to have high value skills. How many Mexicans do you think have these skills? Our immigration policy is biased toward Westerners, the only reason more Latinos immigrate is because the demand is much greater.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

Want to continue to benefit the country? Get any random 10,000-100,000 illegal immigrants who can speak english, fire all the inner city teachers, and put the immigrants in charge. They can teach kids with dismal futures about a work ethic and how they came here with only the clothes on their backs and not even being able to speak or write english at all, walking across a desert, and how now, through hard work they have a home, money, a car, etc, etc and how they are happy.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:03 PM

screw the unions and price fixing.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. First off, immigrants from Latvia who immigrate illegally face exactly the same risks of deportation as Mexicans. The reason why many get entangled in bureaucracy is because they try to follow the rules. Mexicans who immigrate legally face the same problems. I'm sure far more Mexicans are deported than Europeans.

Second, the US government operates a lottery which awards tens of thousands of green cards to immigrants from countries that don't send many people to America. On top of this, to immigrate to America on an H1-B visa, you need to have high value skills. How many Mexicans do you think have these skills? Our immigration policy is biased toward Westerners, the only reason more Latinos immigrate is because the demand is much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it seems to me that our legal immigration process is indeed biased towards Westerners, but since more non-Westerners than Westerners choose the illegal route thereby short-cutting the intended process, the whole system is also partially biased towards those who are motivated and willing to immigrate illegally. I wouldn't actually call it racist in that sense, as HeavilyArmed did, but the system does encourage illegal immigration in some ways, which de facto encourages non-Western immigration.

I think that both the legal and illegal routes must be considered as part of the whole package when trying to assess such matters. It also makes me wonder whether the USA is gaining more legal or more illegal immigrants every year, anyone know which?