Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Is It Possible to \"Make A Difference?\"

I hear this term/expression all the time: somebody wanting to make a difference in the world in some way, shape, or form.

I find the question closely related to the "Do We Have a Purpose" question. People are generally in agreement (here at 2+2 anyway) that we humans do have a biological purpose, but nothing more. Yet, if you listen to those who are convinced that people have some sort of higher purpose, you'll notice they'll almost always say that their purpose consists of/or includes "making a difference" in the world. So I'm asking you, can people literally make a difference in the world, or is it just a matter of opinion (merely a perception)?

Also, for those who are conviced that people can make a difference, what is the criteria for having made a difference in the world?

List The Criteria

1) Helping one or more people in some way?

If yes, then to what degree, and for what length of time? For example, if I help you with your homework one time, is that enough to have made a difference in the world? How about a surgeon saving lives for 40 years? Are Einstein's accomplishments enough? Thomas Edison's? D. Sklansky? Motzart? Bill Gates? etc..

2) Does making a difference have to consist of something admirable in nature?

For example, did the guy who shot John Lennon make a difference? Did Hitler? There is no question these people have changed history, but is that enough? Time magazine was all set to name Hitler the man/person of the century, but due to harsh criticism from many who mistakenly saw the nomination as an honor, Time went with Einstein instead, I believe.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Is It Possible to \"Make A Difference?\"

"There is no question these people have changed history"

I guess this would depend on the way you perceive reality.
In my reality nobody has ever nor will ever change history.

In the same way nobody will ever make a difference.

The universe is set!
When the Big-Bang emerged, the unfolding of the universe took place just as the Big-Bang dictated, just as the Big-Bang dictates the end of the universe to it's ultimate detail.
And even the fart that I am to let go in a minute, was enclosed in this Big-Bang!

Double cheers!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And even the fart that I am to let go in a minute, was enclosed in this Big-Bang!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you choose 'where' to unleash it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2007, 11:42 PM

My understanding of the subject is limited, but from what I gather, quantum physics seems not to support the notion that "the universe is set".
Old 03-04-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Time magazine was all set to name Hitler the man/person of the century,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think Stalin would have been just as influencial as Hitler.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The universe is set!
When the Big-Bang emerged, the unfolding of the universe took place just as the Big-Bang dictated, just as the Big-Bang dictates the end of the universe to it's ultimate detail.

Double cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think you understand the big bang very well. actually given the research we have done the big bang has no indication that the universe will ever end, since it is expanding at an accelerating rate, maybe in hundreds oftrillions of years the universe will be so spread out that everything will be so spread out that one atom is light years away from another, but it has not set end, there will always be the same amount of information in the universe
Old 03-04-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My understanding of the subject is limited, but from what I gather, quantum physics seems not to support the notion that "the universe is set".

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, quantum physics allows the possibility for particles to behave irrational. If a planck suddenly wants to do the twist it can do that... but not in my book!

In my book everything has to behave according to it's nature and the surcomstances, therefore the entire Universe can only behave in one way, the way it's supposed to, Set!

My brain is simply not capable of thinking on a micro-cosmic level.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you choose 'where' to unleash it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what you and I think, but in reality it's the Big Bang that has determent this, just as it has determent that we will fall victim off the illusion that we are able to decide where to fart.

The only thing that's not an illusion and not even a joke is the stench! (I had chili, which of-course was determent by the Big Bang!)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The universe is set!

Double cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think you understand the big bang very well. actually given the research we have done the big bang has no indication that the universe will ever end, since it is expanding at an accelerating rate, maybe in hundreds oftrillions of years the universe will be so spread out that everything will be so spread out that one atom is light years away from another, but it has not set end, there will always be the same amount of information in the universe

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the Big-Bang at all.

BTW, keep in mind that the latest theory of astronomy states that this universe is preparing for an even bigger bang, one that will make the previous one look like a mouses fart!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
actually given the research we have done the big bang has no indication that the universe will ever end,

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that if there is enough 'Dark Matter,' then the universe can stop & reverse direction, which would end with The Big Crunch?