Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 03:35 AM

Default Freedom of the press!?

The news media advocacy organization Reporters Without Borders released their fifth annual Worldwide Press Freedom Index this week, and it shows that the United States has dropped 9 places since last year, and is now ranked 53rd, alongside Botswana, Croatia and Tonga. The authors of the report say that the steady erosion of press freedom in countries like the US, France and Japan (two other countries that slipped significantly on the index) is "very alarming.

From the Christian Science Monitor
Old 10-29-2006, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Freedom of the press!?

Or more countries are catching up on a basic needs level and the US is self-toppling anyway.

Nero probably fiddlin' bluegrass somewhere and having hisself an elbowtipper of moonshine.

Eh.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:21 AM

bear in mind - a lot of this isn't government censorship -

the press, particularly in the US is owned by corporations - ergo - TV News and it's subsidaries put profit ahead of objectivity or anything -

not that it's restricted - more like it's been sold to the highest bidder.

rb
Old 10-29-2006, 06:32 AM

I don't think that the index measures media corporate or self-censorship but rather takes into account certain government actions or interferences.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:45 AM

I agree with the basic point here, that erosons of press freedom in recent years in the US is a huge problem, and one that's becoming very noticable in terms of content to anyone that travels to and from the US regularly and gets to see the contrast. But I have to point out that it's a bit disingenuous bolding 'Botswana, Croatia and Tonga' to show this. The fact that a country is poor has no necessary relevance here - I'm in fact surprised Tonga isn't rated higher since I'm guessing its press corp consists of one guy with a notepad.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:03 AM

Hiya guesswest,

I agree with your sentiments about freedom of press being a huge problem. I don't quite agree with your dismissing or putting down being compared to Botswana, Croatia and Tonga. I think, whether a country is poor or not, whether it has one journalist or 100,000, it is the government actions that are being judged/ranked here, fairly or unfairly. Look at the top rankers and the bottom one's. I was trying to get a feeling for it, and I was a bit surprised at both the ranking and the score of the US. Other first world countries did not score well, a few ex-communists scored better than I expected but are in line from TV program I have seen from those countries, when I think about it. It is the tolerance of government criticism, by the government, that tips the balance imo.

BTW, France and Japan were singled out for a tightening too.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 AM

The US is being compared to Botswana, Croatia and Tonga on a specific measurement, not in general terms. Governments have different reasons for restricting the press, and may not have a vested interest in doing so in many cases, nor may they be able to do so because of infrastructure, legal systems etc. Some poor countries enjoy great freedom of press - look at the ranking Benin got, that's a miserable country in abject poverty. The press is largely unrestricted there because nobody has a TV and the majority of the population is illiterate, so the government doesn't care what reporters get up to.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The press is largely unrestricted there because nobody has a TV and the majority of the population is illiterate, so the government doesn't care what reporters get up to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain that is right! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and hopefully this does not apply to the US, hence the censorship!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:57 AM

The US government is violating journalistic confidentiality, increasing restrictions on what's allowed in public discourse and otherwise, making a variety of threats about "unpatriotic" or "anti-American" rhetoric, and taking a much harder position on "treason" and dissemination of "sensitive information."
Old 10-29-2006, 11:52 AM

How is the score reached?
Btw Chile is just above USA [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit: thanks for the link, very intresting