Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Female+sexy+skeptic = 1 in a million? // Men are better than wo

Some of it's genetic, but a lot of it is social. What our friends think is unfortunately a very important factor in choosing a mate, and many people, male and female, are often dissuaded from pursuing their attractions just because their girlfriends might think he's a loser or their guy friends might think she's chunky. Heck, I've done that.

One need only look at the drastic change in standards of beauty. Just a few generations ago, full-figured women were the standard. The skinny waif supermodels we see today would have been considered sickly and bony. Today, they're the norm.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:15 PM

soon2bepro,

Interesting discussion. I agree with most things you said and that women aren't as competitive as men.. But would you really say women aren't as intelligent or as thinking as men or at least not in the same ratio? That's a very strong statement and I'm gonna have to disagree. Personally, I think this whole issue stems from sexism. And I think that if you had a girlfriend you would not think or post this.

Bottomline, get a gf, get to know what women are really like and then judge.

Also, refering to your last line, do you really think that a girl who read your post would be interested in contacting you?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One need only look at the drastic change in standards of beauty. Just a few generations ago, full-figured women were the standard. The skinny waif supermodels we see today would have been considered sickly and bony. Today, they're the norm.

[/ QUOTE ] This has only flucuated in the media; not in mate preferences. Women think that men prefer women that are thinner than then men actually prefer. I assume the same was true years ago i.e. men didn't necessarily prefer full-figured over somewhat thin women...However, as food gets more abundant and health is better, it is less likely that a thin woman is ill/unhealthy, which could mean mate preferences have actually changed (ill/unhealthy people are less attractive, everything else equal).

What actually matters, world wide, in terms of female attractiveness (attractiveness as a mating partner), is not full-figured or skinny, but a good hip to waist ratio. A full figured or a skinny woman could have this.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 AM

I remember reading somewhere that women on average scored slightly higher on IQ and other intelligence tests but there was a higher percentage of men on either extreme. As much as it isn't politically correct and as much as I wouldn't like it to be true, I have to think it is more or less accurate. I think women's rights have advanced enough in the past 50 years that huge difference in top-tier success rate can't be explained away merely as male prejudice and societal pressure. This is especially true in merit-based professions like chemistry, astrophysics, or composing. Male success in business, for example, is understandable since the percentage of the population that is extremely competitive is going to contain a higher proportion of men.

I realize this is far from scientific, but in my personal experience I've met lots of girls who were "smart," (i.e. they did well in school, could grasp most subjects that weren't too abstract) but the ones who were truly intelligent were few and far between. Very intelligent males are certainly not common, but I've found many more of them.

This may disappoint you, but very bright girls do not always make the best girlfriends. They, like most truly intelligent people, are often not well-adjusted and this can prevent them from having a healthy relationship.

I hope no one misconstrues what I've said as sexism; I'm merely stating the way things appear to be. I love and respect women and truly wish the world were filled with intelligent successful women. Also, I'd like to be one.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may disappoint you, but very bright girls do not always make the best girlfriends. They, like most truly intelligent people, are often not well-adjusted and this can prevent them from having a healthy relationship.

[/ QUOTE ] I was just about to post this, more or less. I have met highly intelligent women that are attractive, but they generally have big negatives in other areas, such as sanity.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:04 AM

But Dr. Yamatov have proved that woman's brain is size of squirrel.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:23 AM

I'm finding this whole thread a little scary. Picking a partner by measuring her (or him) against qualities x, y and z seems like a very detached and sorta sociopathic means of mate selection. We don't choose who we fall in love with, or at least I don't think people with a decent sense of emotional connectedness and empathy do.

It probably does involve the attributes a person has in relation to your own, but if so it's an unfathomably complex process we couldn't begin to deconstruct, and probably in some way related to the way in which each other's damaged parts fit together as much as it is the objectively positive ones. Setting aside the problems RE the rareness of the person the OP describes - I'm guessing if he found her she'd run a mile upon realising he was pursuing her based on some kind of dehumanising formula.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I was just about to post this, more or less. I have met highly intelligent women that are attractive, but they generally have big negatives in other areas, such as sanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. See Asia Carrera thread
Old 11-29-2006, 01:18 PM

I agree with guesswest, I dont choose the girl Im atracted to.

Schopenhauer wrote an essay about attraction his case is that one tries to find the qualities he doesnt have on her partner while being more tolerant to the qualities one does have, for instance Im a smart serious kid.

The girls Im going to feel atractive( according to this theory Im not claiming its true) to are sweet outgoing sociable girls, they dont really have to be that smart.

The logic behind this is that I basically want the girl so I can have kids with her.
Arent my kids better off if they have the genes of their serious intelligent father and the genes of their lovely sweet mother? Intsead of having the genes of two smart serious persons?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The logic behind this is that I basically want the girl so I can have kids with her.
Arent my kids better off if they have the genes of their serious intelligent father and the genes of their lovely sweet mother? Intsead of having the genes of two smart serious persons?

[/ QUOTE ]

what if they end up being ugly like their father and dumb like thier mother? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

if i had a son i'd want him to be as smart as possible, a daughter i'd want to be as good-looking as possible.