Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Vegetarianism? Pros and Cons

[ QUOTE ]
Your desire to eat meat is, in my experience, not culmulative - is my point. You won't crave meat more after not having eaten it for a week than you will after not having eaten it a day. In fact the opposite is true, the longer you don't eat meat the more gross it seems. The same is obviously not true of sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

But IS true of leaving your loved one.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My question is even if I don't eat meat, how will that change the fact that it won't happen still?

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals are bred for meat based on market demand. Less market demand, less of them bred and slaughtered for meat.

And a vegan doesn't consume any animal products - eg milk, eggs etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you ever eat fast food, or just eat salads at fast food places? I'm trying to think if being vegetarian is feasible without drastically changing my eating habits.

It is true that is costs more $ to be vegan though correct?
I mean not EATING any animal products seems like you would have to go to speciality stores to not be malnourished.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But IS true of leaving your loved one.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience too. Am guessing that one varies from person to person tho.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So do you ever eat fast food, or just eat salads at fast food places? I'm trying to think if being vegetarian is feasible without drastically changing my eating habits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I eat mostly crap. I eat all kinds of fast food - I get pizza without meat, burger places often have veggie burgers of some kind these days etc. Mexican food, Chinese food - all easy. It's really not difficult at all.

[ QUOTE ]
It is true that is costs more $ to be vegan though correct?
I mean not EATING any animal products seems like you would have to go to speciality stores to not be malnourished.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a vegan, so I don't know, but my vegan friends have never mentioned it being more expensive. Most meat substitutes seem to cost roughly the same as their equivalent.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM

You don't get your hands dirty, you don't contribute to the demand, and you'd be surprised at what happens to your relationship with food. You'll get cravings for awhile, but then meat will start seeming really unappetizing - you'll want to eat it about as much as roadkill. You'll also never feel like there aren't enough alternatives - not if you look. Veganism is harder, and takes much more work - you can still have great variety and satisfaction, but it's expensive and you have to plan. I don't recommend going straight into veganism.

Personally I'm very glad to be a vegetarian - it's rewarding in more ways than one. If you worry that you won't feel good about it, don't - it can really make you feel better. But if it's not worth it to you, don't bother.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't get your hands dirty, you don't contribute to the demand, and you'd be surprised at what happens to your relationship with food. You'll get cravings for awhile, but then meat will start seeming really unappetizing - you'll want to eat it about as much as roadkill. You'll also never feel like there aren't enough alternatives - not if you look. Veganism is harder, and takes much more work - you can still have great variety and satisfaction, but it's expensive and you have to plan. I don't recommend going straight into veganism.

Personally I'm very glad to be a vegetarian - it's rewarding in more ways than one. If you worry that you won't feel good about it, don't - it can really make you feel better. But if it's not worth it to you, don't bother.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have thought about it for awhile but my friend convinced me not too because he said it was some "pussy sh.it."

I know it would definitely make me feel better, but that's the thing I guess. If I did it I would be doing it more for myself than the animals, same result I suppose. One less meat eater.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a vegan, so I don't know, but my vegan friends have never mentioned it being more expensive. Most meat substitutes seem to cost roughly the same as their equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on time investment and level of veganism. Technically virtually all food contains animal products. If you're that kind of vegan you really do need to go to specialty stores. But mostly you don't. Still, healthy vegan eating typically involves cooking. I don't cook, so to me it's a big deal. I actually did basically starve myself during the year I was vegan, because proper nutrition was just not worth enough. And if you live on a diet like mine - ramen and pasta, rice and beans, dollar store sales - going vegan will up the cost considerably.

If you go vegetarian, try to keep up on iron, B vitamins, calcium, and fats. People go nuts about protein, but protein isn't that hard. It's the stuff I mentioned that'll get you. Especially if you're vegan.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:04 PM

Don't be guilt-driven. You don't have some mission from God to stop eating animals. Like you say, same result. I've seen people go nuts with guilt over this stuff - probably due to some unrelated personal issues, but all the same. If you feel better eating meat, eat meat and enjoy it. Do you want animal conditions to improve based solely on big collective guilt trip? I sure don't.

Pay no attention to what we think about whether you should go vegetarian, or to what your friend thinks for that matter. Do what you do, and the rest will follow.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:15 PM

Matter is matter. Whether you eat inanimate or animate matter is irrelevant. It is inanimate when you eat it, generally. Exotic diets aside.

I eat singluarities and hard candies. Crunching them has deletrious effects. There's a benefit though.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matter is matter. Whether you eat inanimate or animate matter is irrelevant. It is inanimate when you eat it, generally. Exotic diets aside.

I eat singluarities and hard candies. Crunching them has deletrious effects. There's a benefit though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok matter is matter. The question is about ethics though, animals suffered for you to eat certain matter. How do you respond to that? You are (me too) responsible for an animals un-needed suffering.

Also I believe your reasoning is far to simplistic. Morality
comes into play for instance, if someone killed your dog for a stranger to eat him. Would you feel the same way?