Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Fall Fashions (and good deals on fashions!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if you have a muscular build? I have the hardest time finding clothes that fit right because my chest/shoulders/arms are big and my waist is little...everything looks funny because there is so much extra fabric if I get it to fit my shoulders.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, I know this problem so well, esp. with business shirts. I'm not THAT athletic, but I have very long arms as a bonus. So when I find a shirt that has long enough arms (think oversize), there is usually way too much fabric around the waist which SUCKS. And I don't have the money to buy special designer shirts. So I'd really like to know if it's an easy alternative to have shirts "customized".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking into tailors in my area. It pains me to think that if the tailor charges like $20/shirt I'm going to be paying $100/shirt for a regular polo. ACK.

You can get shirts from Jos. A. Banks that are custom for fairly cheap. Not designer by any means but they'll fit you a lot better than an off-the-rack one will. If you go to Brooks Brothers or Land's End you're going to pay well over $100 for a custom shirt.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM

i'm not so sure about tailoring shirts like polos. i think there are brands that tailor them very slim fit from the get go. if you insist on an "original" and can't settle on a different brand, it's a different story though. I'm more troubled with my business shirts that I wear with a suit.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not so sure about tailoring shirts like polos. i think there are brands that tailor them very slim fit from the get go. if you insist on an "original" and can't settle on a different brand, it's a different story though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions on a slimmer cut brand? I have Polo, Express, and Brooks Brothers and they all fit similarly. The arms on a Polo XL are smaller than the Express which is kind of annoying but meh.

I'm definitely not brand picky, I just haven't found anything that fits a 45" chest and a 33" waist.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM

Can someone show me pictures of shoes that are appropriate for wearing with suits, and then shoes that are appropriate for business casual attire (ie dress slacks plus button shirt). I'm starting my first real job next week and my knowledge of shoes is very poor, but I'd like to improve on that cause chicks seem to care about shoes a lot. The dress code at my office is business casual, but I'll be wearing suits once in a while.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:00 PM

As a general rule, pointier toes are more formal while a squarer toe is more casual. Picking a brand that fits your foot well is up to you, but as a general tip: make sure you get shoe polish, good cedar shoe trees, etc. and take excellent care of your shoes(they aren't cheap, after all). Generally I polish them every Sunday so they look good for the week at work. The shoe trees help them keep their shape, remove moisture, and prevent creasing in the leather.

I'm sure there are more shoe threads around here somewhere.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone show me pictures of shoes that are appropriate for wearing with suits, and then shoes that are appropriate for business casual attire (ie dress slacks plus button shirt). I'm starting my first real job next week and my knowledge of shoes is very poor, but I'd like to improve on that cause chicks seem to care about shoes a lot. The dress code at my office is business casual, but I'll be wearing suits once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. The first two pairs can be worn with suits. The last pair are more casual.

These are known as closed lacing. The sides are sewn under the front of the shoe.

This shoe has open lacing where the sides are sewn over the front of the shoe.

In reality it probably won't make a difference if you worn any of these shoes with a suit. But offically the first two are more formal therefore appropriate.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM

don't buy square toed shoes, they make your feet look huge.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 AM

That last pair looks essentially the same as the first one IMO. Couldn't I get away with something even less formal and more comfortable?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:55 AM

You don't want to dress just for comfort...dressing well definitely adds to your professional image that you're trying to cultivate.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not so sure about tailoring shirts like polos. i think there are brands that tailor them very slim fit from the get go. if you insist on an "original" and can't settle on a different brand, it's a different story though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any suggestions on a slimmer cut brand? I have Polo, Express, and Brooks Brothers and they all fit similarly. The arms on a Polo XL are smaller than the Express which is kind of annoying but meh.

I'm definitely not brand picky, I just haven't found anything that fits a 45" chest and a 33" waist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not in the US so I don't know many of the brands you are talking about or I have just never seen them. My shape is not too unsimilar with yours. 42" or 43" chest to 33" waist. I once bought polos from H&M (Hennes&Mauritz, don't know how far spread they are over the globe). They are very cheap (like $15), pretty poor quality (the colors fade quickly) but have a pretty nice fit if you buy them a size smaller. And since they are so cheap, you can basically buy a few of them. Wash them a few times and then move on to the next one. You can actually force yourself to vary the colors you wear that way [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] They have no logo on them, which I personally like but which could tip some savvy people off, obv.