Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: *** The Official New York Rangers 07/08 Stanly Cup Champs Thread *

[ QUOTE ]
god I hate the islanders so much

[/ QUOTE ]

qft

was at the garden last night and wanted to knock dipietro's head off .. i just don't like him, no matter how handsome he is
Old 11-20-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where that stuff comes from. The Islanders look like a very good, solid team, with a very good coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but LOL. I'm sure your general view of a team you've seen a couple of times is way more accurate than people using advanced statistics to actually try and get an objective view about a team. Have you been on the Sporting Events forum before?

http://forechecker.blogspot.com/2007...uck-style.html
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know where that stuff comes from. The Islanders look like a very good, solid team, with a very good coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

they may be those things, but they're also lucky.

that defense stinks. it's brendan witt, andy sutton (who was never any good), and a bunch of stiffs. they have the kind of team that's going to run good in 1 goal games, but not this good.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM

Use whatever cockamamie stats you want to use. I'll use the only one that matters -- the record. Or is your position that 11 wins out of 17 games is a fluke?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use whatever cockamamie stats you want to use. I'll use the only one that matters -- the record. Or is your position that 11 wins out of 17 games is a fluke?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are leveling me, because if not...sigh. Do you really honestly think that a teams record over a small sample is an accurate representation of a team's ability?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM

oh ffs guys just stop, the islanders will always suck because they're the islanders. end of argument.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the islanders started out similar last year - by the end of the year they were struggling to make the playoffs.

they have won a lot of 1 goal games. winning close games doesn't really portend future success. the islanders will start losing those games and their record will fall back to .500 where it belongs.

fwiw while i didn't see all of last night's game, i think the islanders iced the puck 8 times in the first ten minutes. that's a good way to increase variance.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are leveling me, because if not...sigh. Do you really honestly think that a teams record over a small sample is an accurate representation of a team's ability?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a stupid conversation, because you fail reading comprehension. I did not say the Islanders were going to win the Cup. They are a decent team, maybe somewhat better than that. They have been better than I expected. Do they have holes? Yes. So does almost every other team in the league. Are they an 11-6 team over 80 games? Probably not. Are they a playoff contender? Absolutely. Yes, they started great last year, played badly middle, but finished strongly and snuck into the playoffs when it looked like they were done. They are well coached. Better?
Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM

I think both sides agree that some kind of drop off from the current pace is to be expected. To last place? Probably not. To once again fighting for a 6-8 seed? Probably.

I think we can also agree that You Can't Beat Us!
Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think both sides agree that some kind of drop off from the current pace is to be expected. To last place? Probably not. To once again fighting for a 6-8 seed? Probably.

I think we can also agree that You Can't Beat Us!

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhhhhhh get outta the thread and back to nassau or suffolk or whatever and guido up the hair you freaking long island bastard, and to think you posted in the mets thread that whole time, yarrrr go away away away we want fishsticks we want fishsticks