Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: 360 Woes (help needed)

Sounds like I need to fire up Live.

OK, so last night I get my 360, Halo and Tenchu (I liked the original and this was on sale so I figured why not give it a try). I fire up my 360 and try to migrate my old Live account to the 360 Gold account. I put in all my info and accept the user agreement when on the last step it tells me that Live Signup is down and to try again later. I tried a few hours later w/ the same results. Has this happened to anyone else?

One last thing. Halo 3 Local Co-op. WTF!!!! It puts it in 4:3 w/ no option of side by side. So I had to play it w/ black bars on each side effectively taking 1/3 of my screen away. Anyone know why this is, if they plan to fix it, or if someone knows a fix so I can play 2 player on my widescreen w/out the bars?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try those out, I definitely want to try blue dragon.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:18 PM

Never had that issue with the signups. Have you tried creating a new account to see if that works? Just select silver. You should get a free 3 month gold trial - you get 3 per xbox. Something that's not really advertised. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never had that issue with the signups. Have you tried creating a new account to see if that works? Just select silver. You should get a free 3 month gold trial - you get 3 per xbox. Something that's not really advertised. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what I'm going to try to do if it doesn't work tonight. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Just sign up a new regular account. When at the end it asks for you pick silver/yearly gold/etc just pick silver. After you finish creating the account it'll give you a popup that the account has been upgraded.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 PM

I guess I'll put my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I am going to buy a 360 in the next few days. I'll probably go with the premium. What accessories are necessary? I know a wireless adapter and extra controller, but what else would you recommend?

Also, I want to try Halo, but have never played a FPS before (mainly sports and racing games). Will it be so hard that I won't enjoy it? When playing online, can you play with other noobs so I don't get killed within 5 seconds?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM

There are a lot of accessories that you could do without. However, a couple I would recommend are the controller charger and the wireless mic.

With the controller charger, you can continue to use the charging controller while it's connected to your 360. It doesn't take too long to charge. As well, unless you want to spend an 10 bucks for a pretty negligible difference in charging time, make sure it's the 'Play and Charge' kit. Also, I'm not sure if the other type allows you to play while it's charging like the P&C kit.
edit: ok, the other one is called the Quick Charge kit. It doesn't sound like it'll let you play while it's charging.

As for the wireless mic, if you're not a fan of wires then you might definitely want to consider it (and really, what's the point of a wireless controller without a wireless mic). Although they're 50-60 bucks, the sound quality is excellent and they hold their charge/charge up pretty good.

Having not played a FPS shouldn't be a problem. Each successive game in the franchise has been targeted at a more larger group of people, for better or worse. If you're just going to get Halo 3, you may wan't to brush up on the storyline otherwise you might be a little lost campaign-wise. As for playing with other new players, you might want to try the 'Basic Training' playlist to get your feet wet. As well, it has an unranked, more 'Social' type play list where most of the players are looking to have fun, not necessarily win.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am going to buy a 360 in the next few days. I'll probably go with the premium. What accessories are necessary? I know a wireless adapter and extra controller, but what else would you recommend?

Also, I want to try Halo, but have never played a FPS before (mainly sports and racing games). Will it be so hard that I won't enjoy it? When playing online, can you play with other noobs so I don't get killed within 5 seconds?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might want to check out this deal from costco. You get the play and charge kit, 360 - Halo version, Halo 3 limited edition and an extra Halo edition controller for $499. Pretty good deal if you like the Halo edition 360 - personally the colors aren't my cup of tea.

You should have no real problems getting into the game online. There's the unrated matches, but even rated matches are based on level. The more you lose, the lower your level goes and vice versa. You'll eventually end up playing people around your skill level.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Ok, so appartently opening night crashed the sign up servers at microsoft, but I was able to migrate my old account over last night and play online. I forgot how fun it is, and how fun king of the hill is.

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, why not get the elite? If you plan on downloading anything it makes sense for the hard drive alone. As for Halo, my suggestion would be to put in some practice time via Halo 1 & 2. I would play through 1's campaign, play through 2's campaign, then either play some online on 2, or just start 3's campaign and move on to online on 3. This is going to 'catch you up' the fastest IMO. Halo 1 & 2 are absolutely fantastic games, so IMO you've been missing out by not playing through them anyway.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:59 PM

splinter cell double agent if you like 3rd person stealth action i would also pick up splinter cell chaos theory, one of the best games to come out on original xbox and its graphics a quite nice considering previous gen, command and conquer if you like rts, tomb raider legend