Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Foxwoods 20/40, AJ 3rd pair river

(posting this from babar's -- don't worry ben, i didn't let him siimp [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

i just sat down, game is playing kinda taggy, so i raise AJ sooted in diamonds UTG+2 and of course get 5 coldcallers.

flop J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
check, I check, 2 more checks, some guy bets, 2 folds, I call, 2 more folds. so basically HU to the turn.

turn 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I check, he checks.
river 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check, he bets, I ... ?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: foxwoods 20/40, AJ 3rd pair river

bet flop please. I probably end up calling the river as played because I'm a SD monkey but without explaining the specific reads of the game it could go either way so I'll leave it to your judgment.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 AM

I'm intrigued by the flop check, but I think it's more apt online than live. I'm still adapting on when to give up early when I'm a major dog to the ranges at play so I won't comment on that.

I think we are good here 1:8 or 9 times because Villain can have 99/TT/JT/J9/AJ/Ax or air, but I forget how loose-passive FW is. Very read/image dependent. There are definitely alot of hands you can can snap off though.

Nina: I feel like this is an insta-call for you online and that you're still trying to feel out adjustments to live play. It's definitely closer, but this one is definitely not a bad spot to pay off.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

i don't understand the flop check at all.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I surprised theres so much hate for the flop check. Ive heard some good points in favor of betting, but I think that its at least close. IMO I take it down about never and risk getting pounded by a better hand.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I surprised theres so much hate for the flop check. Ive heard some good points in favor of betting, but I think that its at least close. IMO I take it down about never and risk getting pounded by a better hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
but you risk giving a free card to an A that would split the pot, or give something like Q8s/Q7s more reason to stay in the pot if the pfr checks on that flop. those hands may fold to your bet.

so you protect equity and since the pot is too big to fold for 1 bet, you'll be putting in at least 1 and don't shut yourself out for 2bets if it's cold back to you.

betting here i think is pretty standard in a live game. online though where it is more aggressive and people would 3 bet pfrs with a TJ or something here it might make more sense to check.

Barron
Old 10-03-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betting here i think is pretty standard in a live game. online though where it is more aggressive and people would 3 bet pfrs with a TJ or something here it might make more sense to check.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

We check here not because of what our villain's may do preflop, but because of what they do postflop. Live, very few villains are raising anything short of 2 pair here(maybe AK/KT). If we are seeing the turn for 1 bet anyways, it mine as well be as when we have some fold equity.

Again, we check here online because it's likely going to be 2 bets coming back to us in a tough spot. Unlikely here.

Edit: LOL I MISREAD HIS POST. ALL OF THE ABOVE IS IN AGREEMENT.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 AM

BET every street get called on the river player will shake his head and muck.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 AM

i think you should have bet the flop too. surprise surprise, but i think the river i muck it without any reads. i think there are just too many hands that you're losing to.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Foxwoods 20/40, AJ 3rd pair river

i don't really care much about the hand (i would have bet the flop and call the river as played) but i am more interested in:

[ QUOTE ]
(posting this from babar's -- don't worry ben, i didn't let him siimp )

[/ QUOTE ]