Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM

Default A situation I rarely see.

8-16 live 9 handed. The game is very loose and somewhat aggressive. It is half decent players, half loose bad players. I rarely see family pots in this game.

Everyone limps and it is up to me in SB with 7h2c. Is this a situation where you can play any two? If not, what are your minimum requirements?

Anyway, I completed and BB raised and everyone called including me.

The flop: 8c5h2s

I check, BB bets, everyone calls

The turn: 8c5h2s9d

BB bets, everyone calls.

The river: 8c5h2s9dQh

BB checks, MP bets, two callers, I fold.

Please comments on my preflop call and the rest of the hand which I think was standard.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: A situation I rarely see.

i would just muck it preflop outside chance i call in the small if the blinds were 2 chips and 3 chips, but with 2 and 4 chips i muck it. you got tied in by calling and it ended up costing you a little more than a big bet. money could be invested in a better spot.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8-16 live 9 handed. The game is very loose and somewhat aggressive. It is half decent players, half loose bad players. I rarely see family pots in this game.

Everyone limps and it is up to me in SB with 7h2c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. 17 to 1 is not close. Any two cards call.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Getting 17:1 I think I'd play any two, but plan on mucking if the flop doesn't hit me twice.

Flop is standard.

Gosh, on the turn I'd call again. The pot is laying you 16.5:1. Hearts are a bit tainted, but a deuce is possibly good, and a six is likely good.

Granted, you've been sucked into paying a lot more with 72o than you expected, but... it happens. Play each street according to the pot odds, not pre-flop equity.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting 17:1 I think I'd play any two, but plan on mucking if the flop doesn't hit me twice.

Flop is standard.

Gosh, on the turn I'd call again. The pot is laying you 16.5:1. Hearts are a bit tainted, but a deuce is possibly good, and a six is likely good.

Granted, you've been sucked into paying a lot more with 72o than you expected, but... it happens. Play each street according to the pot odds, not pre-flop equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to call the flop is that the BB bet. You now close the action. You don't have to worry about a raise. Turn should be easy to play.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:08 PM

sometimes playing well feels gross.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... Anyway, I completed and BB raised and everyone called including me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play 72o in the SB with everybody limping in. But if I did, this is where I would let it go.

I would play 72s or 75o or even 32o but I won't play 72o, 83o, 92o, etc. because there is no straight potential. But, as above, I would let them go for a raise by the BB.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't play 72o in the SB with everybody limping in. But if I did, this is where I would let it go.

I would play 72s or 75o or even 32o but I won't play 72o, 83o, 92o, etc. because there is no straight potential. But, as above, I would let them go for a raise by the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

From an odds standpoint I can't fold after it gets raised and called back to me since I am getting the same odds as when I called in the first place and I am closing the action. I have no delusions of having the best hand and realize I will need to get awful lucky to win here. I guess an argument could be made that since the pot is big I could get stuck for more bets post flop as I did, however, if that is the case then I should have folded in the first place.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From an odds standpoint I can't fold after it gets raised and called back to me since I am getting the same odds as when I called in the first place and I am closing the action. I have no delusions of having the best hand and realize I will need to get awful lucky to win here. I guess an argument could be made that since the pot is big I could get stuck for more bets post flop as I did, however, if that is the case then I should have folded in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are getting the same odds but it is a very different situation. You are now more likely to be against an overpair to both your cards, so a two pair is less likely to win.

And everybody is going to chase to the river now with a pair because the pot is now huge (including yourself!!!).

Assume you hit two pair on the flop - there is no way to protect your hand. If you bet out and are raised everybody is still getting odds to call gutshots and single pairs.
Similarly, the raise priced in gutshots on the turn - and even if there aren't two bets on the flop, gutshots may very well call on the turn facing two bets.