Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Find treatment for (forms of) cancer, get shut down by the government

[ QUOTE ]

The term medical marijuana took on dramatic new meaning in February 2000, when researchers in Madrid announced they had destroyed incurable brain tumors in rats by injecting them with THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.

The Madrid study marks only the second time that THC has been administered to tumor-bearing animals. In 1974, researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institutes of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research, according to Jack Herer, who reports on the events in his book, The Emperor Wears No Clothes. In 1976, President Gerald Ford put an end to all public cannabis research and granted exclusive research rights to major pharmaceutical companies, who set out -- unsuccessfully -- to develop synthetic forms of THC that would deliver all the medical benefits without the "high."

[..]

"I am aware of the existence of that research. In fact I have attempted many times to obtain the journal article on the original investigation by these people, but it has proven impossible," Guzman said.

In 1983, the Reagan/Bush Administration tried to persuade American universities and researchers to destroy all 1966-76 cannabis research work, including compendiums in libraries, reports Jack Herer, who states, "We know that large amounts of information have since disappeared."

http://www.mapinc.org/newscc/v01/n572/a11.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-27-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Find treatment for (forms of) cancer, get shut down by the governm

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The term medical marijuana took on dramatic new meaning in February 2000, when researchers in Madrid announced they had destroyed incurable brain tumors in rats by injecting them with THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.

The Madrid study marks only the second time that THC has been administered to tumor-bearing animals. In 1974, researchers at the Medical College of Virginia, who had been funded by the National Institutes of Health to find evidence that marijuana damages the immune system, found instead that THC slowed the growth of three kinds of cancer in mice -- lung and breast cancer, and a virus-induced leukemia.

The DEA quickly shut down the Virginia study and all further cannabis/tumor research, according to Jack Herer, who reports on the events in his book, The Emperor Wears No Clothes. In 1976, President Gerald Ford put an end to all public cannabis research and granted exclusive research rights to major pharmaceutical companies, who set out -- unsuccessfully -- to develop synthetic forms of THC that would deliver all the medical benefits without the "high."

[..]

"I am aware of the existence of that research. In fact I have attempted many times to obtain the journal article on the original investigation by these people, but it has proven impossible," Guzman said.

In 1983, the Reagan/Bush Administration tried to persuade American universities and researchers to destroy all 1966-76 cannabis research work, including compendiums in libraries, reports Jack Herer, who states, "We know that large amounts of information have since disappeared."

http://www.mapinc.org/newscc/v01/n572/a11.html

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume pvn will be along shortly with a hockey analogy.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:24 AM

Scientists in other countries are free to research pot. They sell it in the streets in Holland for [censored] sake. I don't see doctors there using pot therapy instead of chemotherapy. They're free to publish the miraculous wonders of pot in their medical journals.

Bottom line: pot does very little for cancer. Stop inventing government conspiracies please.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scientists in other countries are free to research pot. They sell it in the streets in Holland for [censored] sake. I don't see doctors there using pot therapy instead of chemotherapy. They're free to publish the miraculous wonders of pot in their medical journals.

Bottom line: pot does very little for cancer. Stop inventing government conspiracies please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil normally I would agree with you but I think it's pretty common knowledge that many many cure's for many many things could be in our hands now if it were not for governments interference. (Captain Lassard) it's all in the many many's.

1) Morality
2) Religion
3) Money

Are the 3 biggest reasons why some of the worst human afflictions still exist. (That can easily be cured)

Let's face it there are some things that at this point in time all the money and study in the world could not cure. So don't hit me with that I understand some things we are just not that developed to solve yet.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pot does very little for cancer. Stop inventing government conspiracies please.

[/ QUOTE ]

If pot had appeared to not be a form of treatment, then why do you think they sought to destroy this large amount of research?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM

Firstly, I take anything I read from "Cannabis Magazine" and "Pot TV" with a grain of salt. I hope you would too.

It's possible that they destroyed research. But assuming they did, precisely what research do you suggest they destroyed? It's not hard to feed pot to rats. This isn't a super secret hydrogen bomb design. The article makes it seem like some great powers of pot were discovered, and then brutally suppressed by the government. Given that no other researchers anywhere in the world have discovered these miraculous medicinal properties of pot, there's really no story here.

[ QUOTE ]
If pot had appeared to not be a form of treatment, then why do you think they sought to destroy this large amount of research?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it legitimizes a criminal activity, and in the words of the day, "was a danger to our youth".
Old 04-27-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pot does very little for cancer. Stop inventing government conspiracies please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think that things like this would never happen absent government? This is an extremely poor argument.