[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/19/com...ent/index.html

[ QUOTE ]
Article deleted for copy right reasons.
Cliff's notes: We need more guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this article was retarded. We need guns so we can stop evil people like the Virginia Tech shooter. Forget for a moment that with stricter controls, HE NEVER WOULD HAVE HAD GUNS IN THE FIRST PLACE

[/ QUOTE ].

Way to assume your conclusion, of course making drugs illegal and severly punishing those who buy, use ans distribute has done wonders for stopping their creation and importation.
web page

[/ QUOTE ]

What does illegalizing drugs have to do with tighter controls on firearms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because people who really want drugs get them, despite them being illegal. Why do you think the same doesn't go for guns? I don't know how someone like Cho thinks but I doubt it's "Hmmm, I really am all set to go murder 32 people in the biggest mass shooting in US history, but these mild gun laws are keeping me at bay! Oh well, I guess I'll just move on!"
Old 04-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: The Nug [censored] rocks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The gun capital of the world, America, is also the murder capital of the civilized world, by a massive margin. It seems "citizen self protection" isn't working all that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're making a common mistake. As this article and others like it point out, the problem in America is not the over-proliferation or easy acquisition of semi-automatic assault weapons. No, the blame obviously lays squarely on the shoulders of citizens who stubbornly refuse to adequately arm themselves.

That's the problem, yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just being ridiculous. The blame isn't either of those. The blame lays squarely on the shoulders of people who fire round after round into innocent people. Given that, restricting the ability of a law-abiding citizen to protect his/herself is just mind boggling.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't think America's gung-ho gun culture contributed to this guy's ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a very small portion. There's no underlying WHY. The guy was messed in the head and a lot of factors came together.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure he might have been stopped by an armed student carrying a gun to his biology class. But he also might have never have gotten to the point where he felt comfortable and skilled popping off rounds into people, where he thought that going out with all guns blazing was "cool".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a forensic psychologist but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Cho didn't do it because he wanted to be "cool." He had serious psychological problems. He was a complete psychopath who wanted nothing more than to harm other people because of his own misery.

[ QUOTE ]
We won't know

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, we won't know. So the burden of proof is on the people who want to forcibly restrict the law-abiding citizen's ability to defend himself.

[ QUOTE ]
The article is also unbalanced - does it talk about the number of times someone carrying his legally concealed handgun lost his cool and shot someone? Where widespread familarity with guns led to a culture of using them to solve problems? The gun capital of the world, America, is also the murder capital of the civilized world, by a massive margin. It seems "citizen self protection" isn't working all that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1) It's "The Nuge"

2) Besides "Stranglehold," not so much. Damn Yankees, anyone?

3) Yes, allowing a bunch of drunk aggro 18 year olds to carry Glocks sounds perfectly reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two things wrong with 3).

1. You must be 21 to own a handgun
2. Carrying a firearm while intoxicated is a felony.

[/ QUOTE ]

And so is shooting someone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in all contexts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow, really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Justifiable homicide, excusable homicide, the concept of necessity...seriously people read up on the law before injecting yourself into these discussions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing gets by you, does it.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this article was retarded. We need guns so we can stop evil people like the Virginia Tech shooter. Forget for a moment that with stricter controls, HE NEVER WOULD HAVE HAD GUNS IN THE FIRST PLACE

[/ QUOTE ].

Way to assume your conclusion, of course making drugs illegal and severly punishing those who buy, use ans distribute has done wonders for stopping their creation and importation.
web page

[/ QUOTE ]

What does illegalizing drugs have to do with tighter controls on firearms?

[/ QUOTE ]
They made drugs illegal, I can still get them. What makes you think there's any difference with guns?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[i]Article deleted for copy right reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be implying that drugs are easier to get now than if they were sold legally in WalMart.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be implying that drugs are easier to get now than if they were sold legally in WalMart.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should re-read what he wrote.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ].

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you should re-read what he wrote.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should re-read what I wrote. It is much easier to buy guns where there are less restrictions (ie the U.S) than it is where there are more (ie Canada). One country also has a much higher rate of gun violence per capita. Do you see why? Less guns = less violence = less school shootings. Really. I understand that he may have still gained access to fire arms on the black market, but then again, he may not have. He certainly wouldn't have been as proficient as he was with them. Personally, I think this whole argument isn't addressing the real problem, just the symptoms. But that's just me.

Keep it up with the burned-out rock star opinion pieces. Next week, David Lee Roth on immigration.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say it until it's understood. Claims like this have no merit until you propose how you plan to limit access, especially on the criminal side. Otherwise it's like saying solving world hunger is as easy as giving people food.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is much easier to buy guns where there are less restrictions (ie the U.S) than it is where there are more (ie Canada).

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, and it makes it more difficult for both people protecting themselves and pychopaths. The problem is that pychopaths are much more likely to resort to illegal means to get them.

Also, pychopaths are the only ones that will bring guns into a no-gun zone. Restriction may (thats a big may) make it a little less likely, but it puts those interested in defending themselves from nutjobs in much, much more danger. This is simple logic.
[ QUOTE ]
One country also has a much higher rate of gun violence per capita. Do you see why? Less guns = less violence = less school shootings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yawn. Correlation doesn't imply causation. How do you account for switzerland?
[ QUOTE ]
I understand that he may have still gained access to fire arms on the black market, but then again, he may not have.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because you know those pychopaths, if they can't get a gun through legal means they don't bother getting them illegally. Give me a break.