Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Default C-betting questions.

Last night i went through every thread i could find on C-betting as i think id been overdoing it and spewing money as a result. Three hours later and my eyes were opened there was some very good advice.
Anyway there is still a couple of specific situations were im unsure what to do and i would like to hear the thoughts of you guys.
Both examples apply to 50nl 6max and assume you have no read on the opponent.
Raise in CO with AK, BB calls, flop comes QQx rainbow. Iv found a C-bet often gets floated as they often dont believe you would bet trips even though alot of the time i would. If i check it and a blank hits turn and they bet i cant raise as a reraise is commiting alot of my stack. Often i just check it down if they allow me. Is this the correct play?
The second situation is were youv been hammering the BB from the BTN with C-bets and he starts to min-raise alot of your C-bets on low flops. Again to re-raise is commiting alot of chips to a bluff so sometimes il call with overcards and fold to a decent turn bet. Is this just bad play calling min-raises? Should i be re-raising or folding to these bets?. Thanks for any ideas put forward.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Re: C-betting questions.

[ QUOTE ]

Raise in CO with AK, BB calls, flop comes QQx rainbow. Iv found a C-bet often gets floated as they often dont believe you would bet trips even though alot of the time i would. If i check it and a blank hits turn and they bet i cant raise as a reraise is commiting alot of my stack. Often i just check it down if they allow me. Is this the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting on the flop after he checks to you would be a standard c-bet and theres nothing bad about the play. If he calls you have to reevaluate the hand on the turn as it looks like hes got something he wants to get to SD with.

[ QUOTE ]
The second situation is were youv been hammering the BB from the BTN with C-bets and he starts to min-raise alot of your C-bets on low flops. Again to re-raise is commiting alot of chips to a bluff so sometimes il call with overcards and fold to a decent turn bet. Is this just bad play calling min-raises? Should i be re-raising or folding to these bets?. Thanks for any ideas put forward.

[/ QUOTE ]
This last section im a little fuzzy on aswell, its good that you notice someones starting to play back at you in certain situations though.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: C-betting questions.

Anytime you repeatedly do something smart players will start to play back at you or look for ways to exploit you. C-betting is no different. Obviously if you are constantly pressuring the blinds they will sooner or later start to take a stand. The less creative will only play back when they have a genuine hand. The more creative will take advantage of probabilities to make plays back at you, as in your two examples. You will not always have a good hand and the majority of the time you will miss the flop. A good player in the blinds will take advantage of this and pick his spots to pressure you. QQx rainbow is a great flop for him to do this becuase there's a good chance it missed you. As are flops with low cards.

Once you've given up the initiative by only calling it is very hard, and can get expensive, to continue.

Here's something to consider. Do you routinely give up the minute players play back at you? And not in just these blind steal circumstances, but other times where you might have raised a limper preflop only to fold easily when they become aggressive post flop. Meaning if they check raise flop do you either fold or just call and then fold to a turn bet? If you get called on the flop do you routinely go passive and check it down, basically giving them free cards to draw out, if you missed the flop?

Again here are tendencies that can be exploited. If I'm in the blind and I notice you do this I'd be thinking if the flop looks unfavorable to you I'm going to check raise and lead turn, you'll fold. Plain and simple. Or I might call and if the turn goes check/ check I'll know you missed and then possibly decide to steal it with a bet on the river.

To change their perception you need to mix up your play. Just a little. Don't get too fancy. Check the flop when you hit. Bet / call on the flop and then pop them when they lead into you on the turn would be huge. Just need to do something different once or twice to put doubt in their mind. Once you've shown that you're not going to be pushed around they're less likely to try to push you around.

Recap: On blind steals know what type of players are in the blinds and what moves they're most likely capable of. Realize if you've been pushing them around a lot and their possible reactions. Also think about your table image and how this might relate to the way the blinds (and others too in a heads up situation) might play against you.

Good Luck

edit. Looking back at your post I don't think I specifically answered your questions. I think the answers are going to be - it depends. Which is what I hope my post (someplace up there) demonstrates.