Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Total Beginner Needs to Get Fit

My situation was almost identical to yours. This thread breaks down what I did. Thread

I really had issues with eating. I gained about 60 lbs in 5 years due to focusing too much on career, etc. I ate as much as I wanted whenever I wanted and it showed. Breaking that habit was the toughest part. I focused on eating small meals every 2.5 - 3.5 hours. Convenience was important so I started using balance bars and now drink muscle milk 2x a day. The best thing about it is that I am never full and never hungry. I cheat a bit on the weekends but, never stuff myself and always eat something every few hours. After a couple of weeks it became a habit and has really been easy to follow.

As far as weights go I have baby at home and a 1 hour commute. I didn't want to take the time to go to the gym and living in the city I didn't want to sacrifice any space for a home gym. I really needed a good way to do resistance training without much equipment. I started out doing push ups and hindu squats. I could only do a few reps due to fatness and would do multiple sets of five for 30 min. or whatever I could do. To be honest I hated it. I bought a set of bowflex adjustable dumbells and did a traditional resistance program using them and an exercise ball. I liked it better than the push ups and got decent results. I posted my workout here and someone suggested that I switch to a circuit or EDT style program. I did some research and decided to try kettlebells. I like it much better than what I was doing previously. It is very intense but, the results have been great and I can do my workout in 20-25 min.

As far as cardio goes I couldn't jog half a block when I started. I just added a small distance every time that I would run and just did three miles today for the first time.

The hardest part is getting started and dealing with the initial weakness and being so out of shape. I am no expert but, I was exactly where you are at a few months ago and am down more than 40 lbs now.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.