Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Default What Causes Displays To Crap Out - laptop and 2001FP..?

Hi there smart people.

My laptop display and one of my Dell 2001FP's are crapping out. I dont know if it's the displays themselves or if it's maybe caused by the video card deteriorating, or what. I don't know much about the tech side of things.

First the laptop started showing thin vertical lines which increased in number over several months. That didn't bother me. Then blocks of screen would be blacked out. Now most of the display is unusable (see 2nd pic), though sometimes - very occasionally - a chunk of display comes back for a short while (1st pic)

A good while after that started happening (several months) one of the 2001FP's occasionally now craps out on the left side of the display. First by blurring/wobbling for 30 secs or more (left hand pic), then going to a block of near monochrome (right hand pic). Then after an hour or so, it'll go back to completely normal.

The laptop display is almost completely obscured the whole time - except for the odd very short period where a chunk comes back, while the 2001FP is usually fine the whole time, except for the occasional period where half the screen craps out as described.

Does anyone know or suspect what is the likely cause of this? If so, what can I do. Or do I have to just sling it all and get a new setup?

[btw, I'm in hawaii and we dont have AC, so they're exposed to a certain amount of heat and humidity (and dust), though nothing too crazy I don't think. Could that cause it? The laptop and display are both just over 2 years old.]

Many thanks for any advice or input.

dogs
Old 02-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: What Causes Displays To Crap Out - laptop and 2001FP..?

Looks like the inverter for your LCD panels have crapped out on you. Luckily, the cost about 25 and you can replace them youself.

Do a search on Ebay for the inverter that matches your panel. You might have to take your panels to be sure. Keep in mind that even though they are Dell monitors, the LCD panels could have been made by another manufacturer. You'll need the right inverter.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info.

So I need to take both the laptop and the dell lcd apart to find the inverters? How would I know an inverter if I saw one? I'm a noob at this.. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 AM

On your laptop, the inverter is right behind the Dell logo on the monitor bezel. As you can tell, I am speaking from experience [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I messed up my inverter on my Inspiron 6000 when I sprayed Windex on the screen and it ran down the screen through the bezzle and fux0red my inverter. Looks like you have a 6000/6400 or the 17" version Inspiron, but it is in the same place. Not sure about the 2001fp's. Just look for the service manual for your gear on Dell's site and you will be ok.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Cool, tyvm phu. I'll get to work and break everything now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]