FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: The case for recycling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, if you think people aren't ready for freedom, then you *are* an opponent of freedom, whether you want to admit it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

For you I am, for many people I am the opposite; a proponent of freedom through views and actions. And your view of what is true can't be objectively valid unless you propose that people aren't entitled to having a free opinion of what freedom is - which would be a paradox. And neither can I for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahah. Nice try, but this is a bait and switch. I'm not trying to impose any particular definition of freedom. And it's *your* position (implicity) that - whatever it is - it won't "work in practice" (and therefore implicitly that it shouldn't be allowed).

Edit: also, please don't ever try any of that hypocritical "you twist things around" crybaby stuff again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't bait and switch anything, I simply refuse your authority to claim I am an opponent of freedom. It's voluntarism principle 101.

It is your opinion that I am, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have definitely conceded the argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I completely fail to see where there is an argument in this. Two subjective opinions meet (you are an opponent of freedom vs you are a proponent of freedom), neither one can be held to be objectively true - there is nothing to concede. I even admitted in the text you quoted that to vpn I am an opponent of freedom, since it is a subjective view.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, screw that guy. A minimal percentage of death by starvation is perfectly acceptable in glorious Libertopia.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you're shaming me, but you're not. This statement I whole-heartedly agree with. It's called Darwinism.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be social-dawinism, different than natural selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

People who cant find their way to getting some food and thus starve and die is a pretty good example of ACTUAL Darwinism, not really social Darwinism.

Of course, there is nothing noble or good about Darwinism so I have no idea why DlbBarrel would use it as some sort of goal or aim. Rape is a HUGE part of Darwinism, for instance.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, screw that guy. A minimal percentage of death by starvation is perfectly acceptable in glorious Libertopia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard.

This is basically the same "logic" that looks at something like the Enron debacle, sees problems caused by *partial* deregulation, and concludes that deregulation is a disaster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the same logic that should prove, beyond doubt, that statism is evil, since all we need to do is inline a picture of Hitler. I wonder why its less persuasive in that context than in this one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, sort of. I post pictures of hitler (in front of the Eiffel Tower) inline when people claim that an ACish geographical area would vulnerable to some wacko conquering.

When I want to use the "here's a picture that shows statism is evil" argument, it's almost always in response to someone saying "AC is bad, just look at somalia." In those cases, I usualy use Kim Jong-Il, or a picture of the North Korean military marching in the capital.

"Statism is bad, just look at North Korea."

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, and thats what I assumed you were doing when you posted those pictures. I wasn't criticizing you, merely alluding to you.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM

From TomCollins

[ QUOTE ]
Who would want to own the ocean? I mean how would you exert your supposed ownership rights? States with coastguard and military have no incentive to do that effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deleted Off course they have incentives. The only reasons it hasn't been attempted are technological and economic.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From TomCollins

[ QUOTE ]
Who would want to own the ocean? I mean how would you exert your supposed ownership rights? States with coastguard and military have no incentive to do that effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deleted Off course they have incentives. The only reasons it hasn't been attempted are technological and economic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do governments have incentives to maintain the value of something? Governments are among the absolute worst maintainers of properties out there.

By the way, thanks for the personal attack.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

From TomCollins

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Why do governments have incentives to maintain the value of something? Governments are among the absolute worst maintainers of properties out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said anything about maintaining. Don't attempt to change the argument.

I apolagize for the attack but your premise that states/anyone would not have an incentive to control an/all oceans is stupid
Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean this in a theoretical sense? As in some other mechanism might better protect property in government's place? Or do you mean that, right now, the government is among the absolute worst?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean this in a theoretical sense? As in some other mechanism might better protect property in government's place? Or do you mean that, right now, the government is among the absolute worst?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly in the theoretical sense since this phenomenon is largely related to government monopolies (i.e. we can't see anything better because anything else is strictly forbidden). I started a thread a few months ago that linked to a mises.org article about the theory and it's application to roads.