Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Little Help w. a Cash Game

My game is .25/.25 NL 40 max. The outer limits of W/L on any given night are in the $120-$200 range.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Consider playing limit? We do a lot and it eliminates a lot of these worries. I guess you would call it 'spread limit' - up to $3 dollar raises on all turns. It's not NL thought - although sometimes we'll have someone call Pot Limit and then things spiral out of control (whee, fun). We also do NL tourneys and sit-n-go's. But by far the $3 spread limit it the most popular (Omaha Hi-Lo/8 is especially fun with the $3 raise cap)
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM

I ran a game a few years ago that slowly turn from 2/4 Limit to 1-1 Pot Limit. I've never been a big fan of capped buyins, but when I first started telling people it was a 1-1 PL game I got a lot of "Well, I might be interested, let me know when you are having a game".

At that point, I just started telling people it was 1-1 PL, with an average buyin of about $60-$75. People seemed to swallow this much better. I just left out the part about how a couple of us would add money to the table to cover the biggest stack. (not secretly, just low-key. no need to make the fish that just doubled up feel like you're gunning for him)

I also used $25 chips to reduce stack sizes. While some people don't like sitting down at a table where there are giant stacks, I find that what they are usually reacting to (emotionally) is the physical "size" of the person's stack. They get intimidated by a 6" wall of $1 chips, but usually don't blink twice when someone has $25 in $1 chips and $200 in $25 chips.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Gotta say, I think the crazy drunken fun times, the ones that attract more people, are with the microstakes NL or PL. Limit or SL is far too boring to take seriously at all at those levels. As you get to the bigger games, sure, but not for these stakes. The people at this level want to play that all-in game that they see on the teevee. Accommodate them.