Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Little Help w. a Cash Game

So at our home game we usually play all SNG style tournaments for usually between $20-$40 buy ins. We usually get in around 3-4 games. So if you lost $160 in one night that would be a bad night.

Based on that..what would be good stakes to have for a cash game if we wanted to mix that in one night?

I was thinking .25/.50 with a max $40 buy in with the ability to reload to $40 at anytime. Does this seem about right?

Basically I just want the amount people are in danger of losing to be about the same. Now obviously at any stakes you can go crazy and lose tons of money...but just looking for some standard guidance.

I'm a tournament player, so cash games are pretty foreign to me.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Little Help w. a Cash Game

It seems fairly reasonable, but I don't really like the capped buy-in. I run a weekly game where we play the approx equivalent (I'm not american) of 10c/20c but with no buy-in restictions. Almost everyone buys in for 200bb, which makes the game a lot more interesting imo
Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems fairly reasonable, but I don't really like the capped buy-in. I run a weekly game where we play the approx equivalent (I'm not american) of 10c/20c but with no buy-in restictions. Almost everyone buys in for 200bb, which makes the game a lot more interesting imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you're not also playing $20-$40 SnG's. My guess is the people who play those are not going to be willing to sit at an uncapped ring game.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but you're not also playing $20-$40 SnG's. My guess is the people who play those are not going to be willing to sit at an uncapped ring game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I can appreciate that, but just because the game is uncapped it doesn't mean that players have to buy in for more than 100bbs. But if, a couple of hours into the game, I go broke and several players are sitting on very big stacks I'm gonna want to make a bigger re-buy
Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I can appreciate that, but just because the game is uncapped it doesn't mean that players have to buy in for more than 100bbs. But if, a couple of hours into the game, I go broke and several players are sitting on very big stacks I'm gonna want to make a bigger re-buy

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but the fact that you are are on 2+2 means you know a lot more about things than the typical home game player doing $20 SnG's. I can almost guarantee that most of them will have no interest in an uncapped game and they would probably say something like "it isn't fair" if people were allowed to buy in for more than them.

A couple of weeks ago my GF told me about a local group that meets and plays poker. She said her best friend plays in the games almost every week so she went and played too. After running some errands I went over to have some wine and food and watch her play and it was pretty much exactly as I described above: A main $40 tourney that started with 30 players. As people busted they started a cash game for $20 buyins (.25/.5) and eventually they started another $20 Sng's while the cash game was running. Believe me, none of these people would have been interested in an uncapped ring game. 2 of the guys there seemed like they had a reasonable idea of what they were doing so I aksed them if they would be interested an a $100 .5/1 game and they looked at me like I was crazy. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM

Didn't we just have a thread on this a week ago?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:40 AM

I will also chime in that many 'regular' home game players will be very uneasy in an uncapped game, even if they only buyin for a reasonable amount.

I frequently buy in for several hundred bbs in my own game and while the real poker players know that it doesn't matter at all (they buyin for 40 or 80), the last time we played a guy left before we started when I said I was buying in for 500BB. He said he was tired.

I think a .25/50 game would be about equivalent, but make the cap 50 instead just so it's 100bb.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM

$40-50 buy-in seems about right. Although that's based on 4 $40 SnGs, not 3 $20 SnGs. If the latter is more common, you could drop to a $20 buy-in with .10/.20 blinds. Or even .25/.50 BB, that would result in a few more all-in situations.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 AM

.25/.50 with a capped $50 buyin is not unreasonable. It is a little short at 100BB for my liking but it sounds like these guys would not care much about that.

One alternative would be .25/.25 which could have a lower cap of say $30. This blind structure sounds a little strange but I have found this game to be an action game a lot of the time.

The other alternative is to go with Limit Holdem. .25/.50 with a big bet of $1 can also be fun and something like $100 should last you all night easily.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM

thanks for the feedback everyone! I think some of you were spot on about what most of our players are going to be willing to buy in for. NOBODY in our game would buy in for over $200. And I'd be shocked if anyone bought in for $100. I think opening it up to $50 to give 100bbs is reasonable and will probably go with that.

Thanks everyone.