Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Anyone take Hyrdrocodone? or Vicodin

That's a lot of pills to be taking. He sounds like an addict. You should confiscate his pills and deliver them to someone responsible and experienced in these matters. PM me for a mailing address for said people and place.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Over 4000mg in a day of acetomenophen can be lethal, especially over time. Tell your friend to slow down, or buy pills with a lower acetomenophen content. I take percocets that are 10-325, you can also get pure oxycodone which is obv. the nuts
Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey. anyone familiar with this stuff?

a pill called: hyrdrocodone Tab 7.5-500

how many would a physician / pharmacist recommend taking in a day?

would 10 per day be more than the recommended usage? normal? seems like a lot to me.

i'm just being nosy with a friend of mine wondering if he's an addict [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to stress that it is not likely to be the hydrocodone component that is the short-term problem for your friend. It is the acetaminophen part. It is extremely unlikely that a doctor recommended that your addict friend take 10 of these daily. If I wrote for 10 vicodins daily, I'm positive I'd get a call from a pharmacist. 10 pills a day gets him to 5 grams of acetaminophen. Maximum recommended daily dose is 4 grams for someone with a healthy liver. For some drugs, the maximum recommended dosage is pretty meaningless. Not for tylenol, however. You can blow your liver up pretty easily. If he's a career drinker with bad liver disease, he might not want to max out at any more than 1000 mg (two vicodins) daily, if that. My inpatient hospital formulary uses Norcos rather than Vicodins. Their acetaminophen content is 325 mg rather than 500, so a healthy person can take 12 daily instead of just 8. There is actually no ceiling dose of the opioid component. I had one cancer patient over 2 grams of morphine (a stronger opioid) daily. That is enough to kill almost anyone reading this message. Your body can get used to escalating doses of opioids, however. Hobbes probably gives about 2 mg IV morphine as his first dose for his average ER patients he decides to give opioids to.

As far as addiction potential, it is commonly accepted that those people who are in bad pain have a much lower potential to get addicted. However, I haven't seen any good study data to back this up. It might just be "common knowledge" that happens to be wrong. Addiction potential is usually very low on my list, as I am frequently dealing with end-of-life cases. If you've got two months to live because of your metastatic lung cancer, then who the hell cares if you get addicted to morphine?

If you are worried about overdose rather than addiction, then you should look for sedation and respiratory depression.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM

I took the maximum dose of vicodin for 30 days and the maximum dose of percocet for 60 days thereafter. It was 1-2 pills every four hours, so I may have been at 12 a day. At least 8. It's likely the acet. content was 325. (So maybe vic or perc. is wrong.) I do remember going from hydrocodone to oxycodone.

This was prior to a successful back surgery. I absolutely was unable to function without the pills. There was no significant withdrawal after I stopped the pills a week or so after surgery.

So, in my case, needing the pills for pain seemed to have prevented addiction. When you're in enough pain, there really ain't much fun associated with pain pills.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM

there is so much acetaminophen in ten 7.5/100's. it kind of grosses me out just thinking about taking that many. ten a day definately has the potential to create an addiction to the hydrocodone, and all that acetaminophen is not good for the liver taboot. get him to stop, and if he is addicted at least switch to percs or oxy's while he is waning himself off.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:15 PM

i would be much more afraid of taking that much acetaminophen as compared to the actual drug to be honest
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM

If he was truly an addict, he would need way more than 10 pills for the entire day to hold him over. This leads me to believe he's just getting started.
My best friends brother would take 30 in one day if you gave them to him. He likes to take 5 at a time.

People straight calling him an addict are probably right, but it doesn't sound like he's been deep into pills for months or anything like that.

He could be new to pills and he's just having some fun for a few weeks or so.

I'd just keep an eye on him and see if he continues.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhhh...perc and hydrocodone are the SAME [censored] THING!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
lol ur dumb
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhhh....no.

Percocet is oxycodone - vicodin hydrocodone. Perocet is MARKEDLY stronger - and some feel it has a higher abuse potential.

Other than being completly wrong, nice job.

MM MD

[/ QUOTE ]

How bad is it to be addicted to this stuff? I had some left over and took one a couple of days ago when my depression got really bad. The depression cleared up completely for the 4 hours or so that I was on it. The next morning, when depression was back, I kinda went through withdrawal, wanting to take more. I could really see myself getting addicted to this stuff.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 AM

I had my wisdom teeth out recently and was prescribed hydrocodone. I really enjoyed them to the point that if I had an unlimited supply I would surely be addicted. I took double doses until they ran out. They made me very drowsy but if I fought the sleep they induced a nice euphoria and also had some mood enhancement benefits. I probably took 10 per day, and it was a lot.