Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 AM

Default your line and WHY...

3/6 nl on FTP (6 handed)

I have been a bit aggro as of late. A mix of good cards and bad opponents who are letting me get away with stuff. BT seems a bit fishy. Just doesn't seem to 'get it'. Preflop he seems a bit too loose.

Me (CO): $750
BT: $460

Folded to me and I raise A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to $20. Only BT calls.

($49) Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Please explain why you would take the action you take here.

I understand this hand doesn't have the pizzaz or excitement of others, but I am interested on what people think the best line is and WHY they think that.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Re: your line and WHY...

I bet big and they fold because they probably don't have a PP and I don't want to get outdrawn by overs.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:25 AM

Bet, worse hands will call.

Play it soft after the flop, check the turn, then vb the river.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:30 AM

bet and take it from there. basically any card that comes on the turn isn't good, you don't want it to get checked through and wonder if the turn card just hurt you. he'll probably call with any 7, diamonds and maybe worse. i'd be trying to showdown cheap if he calls.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:31 AM

pardon if this is obvious, but i'm trying to learn..

say we bet $40, he raises to $110-$120. we're oop and so many turn cards suck, so calling is crappy. easy board to bluff at, so folding seems bad. am i right (amirite) that we have to shove?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:33 AM

First thing I do is check % of time villain calls / folds to c-bet. If he's not calling a ridiculous amount, make standard c-bet to $40-$45 and hope he has random overcards rather than suited connectors that connect with this flop.

We very likely have the best hand and want to take it down now OOP, hence bet. Those times does have overcards, checking just gives him a chance to catch.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM

usually bet for value, sometimes check for value on later streets.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pardon if this is obvious, but i'm trying to learn..

say we bet $40, he raises to $110-$120. we're oop and so many turn cards suck, so calling is crappy. easy board to bluff at, so folding seems bad. am i right (amirite) that we have to shove?

[/ QUOTE ]

If raised you probably have to let this one go, unless opponent is a complete maniac.

Shoving is not good as you will only be called when you are beat.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 AM

Given stack sizes and texture of this flop I was actually thinking a c/r was best.

1) You gain even more value from your hand when BT bets.
2) Since your hand is vulnerable, you want to win the hand right there on the flop and a c/r reps much more strength then a typical looking c-bet.
3) If you lead and are called, you likely will have to shut down and c/f almost all turn cards.
4) If you bet and are raised on the flop you will likely have to fold (maybe the best hand).
5) If BT checks behind it is not a huge disaster as the pot is small and your investment is minimal. It is not paramount that we win. The luxury of small pots.
6) Letting the BT call one bet will most likely commit him with his small stack and the increasingly larger pot where making him call 'two bets' will be much more difficult for him.
7) If BT checks behind we may induce a bet and/or get to showdown with little investment. We are not looking to win a huge pot here. We now can play this hand as a mediocre holding that garners some showdown value and attempt to control the size of this pot in order to get there.
8) If we have been c-betting after our preflop raises continuosly, this might be a time to 'mix things up'.

Overall I felt this was a hand I wanted to win right there on the flop. Going further with it only increased the chance that I get outdrawn or worse, outplayed. As well I wanted to keep the pot small so I don't find myself in a pot commiting situation which might occur if we play this hand in a traditional straight forward line and methodically build this pot.

Thoughts please.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 PM

i like it best also.