Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM

Default A few questions for abolitionists

I'm a little bit behind on this whole anti slavery thing so you'll have to excuse me but to me it seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work. Heres a few reasons why.

1. It's not like we can just abolish slavery and have a few million jobs just spring into existence. If you are an abolisionist I want a point by point account of the job that every freed slave will have under your system

2. There's this slave I know called Jeff. He was never taught to read or write and he's no good with numbers and things like that. Under your system someone could come along and trick him into working just for food and shelter. Don't you see? You are proposing a system where one human being could actually be enslaved to another human being. I think that's a pretty disgusting idea.

3. If you got rid of slavery you'd simply have a large group of angry ex slaves with no system to stop them being violent. Do you really want violence in the streets and people killing and destroying things right left and center?

Until these issues are addressed I really don't think any sensible person can support the idea of abolishing slavery. I look forward to hearing your response.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: A few questions for abolitionists

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little bit behind on this whole anti slavery thing so you'll have to excuse me but to me it seems pretty obvious that it wouldn't work. Heres a few reasons why.

1. It's not like we can just abolish slavery and have a few million jobs just spring into existence. If you are an abolisionist I want a point by point account of the job that every freed slave will have under your system

2. There's this slave I know called Jeff. He was never taught to read or write and he's no good with numbers and things like that. Under your system someone could come along and trick him into working just for food and shelter. Don't you see? You are proposing a system where one human being could actually be enslaved to another human being. I think that's a pretty disgusting idea.

3. If you got rid of slavery you'd simply have a large group of angry ex slaves with no system to stop them being violent. Do you really want violence in the streets and people killing and destroying things right left and center?

Until these issues are addressed I really don't think any sensible person can support the idea of abolishing slavery. I look forward to hearing your response.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM

What anti-AC argument is this supposed to relate to? (Serious question) I'm thinking a few clarifications and caveats need to be formulated to properly compare/contrast the two.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Does anyone see any relation to the argument some make that with strict gun control, only criminals will have guns?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The slaves were doing jobs. Eliminate slavery and those same jobs need to be done, except they will be done voluntarily by those who cant find other jobs that might pay more.

2. This has nothing to do with slavery. There were many jobs performed by free men in the early US that earned them nothing more than food and shelter.

3. These are assumptions with no basis for support. Why will they be angry when they have been freed, but still have the same jobs available they were already enslaved to, or different ones if they have the ability. If there are criminals that emerge they can be dealt with like any other criminal.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The slaves were doing jobs. Eliminate slavery and those same jobs need to be done, except they will be done voluntarily by those who cant find other jobs that might pay more.

2. This has nothing to do with slavery. There were many jobs performed by free men in the early US that earned them nothing more than food and shelter.

3. These are assumptions with no basis for support. Why will they be angry when they have been freed, but still have the same jobs available they were already enslaved to, or different ones if they have the ability. If there are criminals that emerge they can be dealt with like any other criminal.

[/ QUOTE ]

me thinks that your responses highlight the point of the post.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

No eliminating slavery is good because it will create a whole new group of consummers that will want to ... well consume.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone see any relation to the argument some make that with strict gun control, only criminals will have guns?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:28 PM

These are interesting responses but I have a few more points. I have spoken to a few slaves who say that their masters are good masters. If they want to be slaves can we deny them that? I think it's better to work within the current system than try to get rid of it all together. Sure slavery is flawed. I realize that one of those flaws is that people are forced to work for no pay but I heard of a group of slaves who managed to negotiate their beatings down from 10 a day to 1. That shows that working within the system can work.

Also if the slaves don't like the current system why don't we see more attempted runaways? Sure there are some but not as many as you'd expect if the system was all that bad. THere are some places where they don't practice slavery why don't all the slaves try harder to move there?

You see when a slave child is born he can't fend for himself, his master provides him with food and shelter and in return he agrees to work for life. This is an implicit social contract between slaves and their masters slaves are implicitly agreeing to be slaves by accepting the food and shelter offered by the masters.

Look forward to your further responses.