Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Skill levels at higher stakes?

I have been trying sng's online again after doing badly initially. I have been doing a little better, and have been playing the very low limit (5-20 range). I am not ready to move up (probably for a while) but am wondering how much tougher the higher stakes games are (50-100)?

It appears the skill level isn't much different between the $5 games - $20 ones. I am not sure if its just relative to a person's financial situation, so the $50 games attract the same types of players, just ones with more money?

It would make sense that as I move up (hopefully one day) the games will get tougher and tougher, but at what level is it really noticeable?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: Skill levels at higher stakes?

1) Dont move up until you are adequately bankrolled
2) The higher stakes games have a mixture of very good players, average players, and bad players
3) Even the very good players, playing as best they can, can lose tens of thousands straight while playing close to optimal, so see #1

It would make sense that you could have seen the answer to this question by watching a few high stakes sngs?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:50 AM

on FTP, the 33s and 55s are still relatively soft if you avoid the regulars. Generally what I find is that the average quality a play is a little better. The fish are still horrible but the regulars/pros are a hell of a lot better.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Skill levels at higher stakes? *DELETED*

Post deleted by DrMontalban
Old 09-28-2007, 03:02 AM

As a player who's been up the 525s there are VERY bad players at all levels.
The 55 players usually have some knowledge of the game, (ie. know what pot odds are), although ive seen some play at every level that is mind boggling (ie. calling all ins with 22/33/44). I saw an all in called on the bubble with 44 @ the 220s today by a solid, winning player.
I would say the jump from 110s to 220s is the biggest regarding toughness; my toughest games have been at the 200 level.
I would say there is on average 3 losing players at each game up to the 330s, usually 1 or 2 players who REALLY REALLY *REALLY* shouldnt be playing such high stakes, as well as 1 or two who are underrolled/skilled and are trying to make the money from a bad run back (if they win, they often move up in stakes as they see themselves as a better player and if they lose... it can get ugly. I've learned from this problem first hand after a 4-figure loss or two this summer.)
Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 AM

5 fig.*
Closed Thread