Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: OT: How often do regs spew?

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps a lot of the spew we are talking about is results oriented. We have a session where we bluff a lot and it all comes off, we are god's gift to poker. Another time we lose 4 BIs and feel like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, I think there might be something to this.

I had realized that I needed to open up my game a bit, and actually ran very well for a while doing this, then suddenly got overconfident I think.

Looking back on the hands, the plays themselves weren't obviously horrible, it was just not taking all the variables into account (i.e., bad move in that spot, against that Villain, with those stacks) trying to be objective of course, not results-oriented.

Plus some "agressive calls" which were just bad. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I mean I had some decent plays also like just shoving the river vs. a weak-tighty with WtSD<10, not repping much of anything, but counting on him to find a fold, which he did.

So who knows, maybe you just have to spew sometimes to figure out where the "right" mark is on the aggression meter.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM

I consider spew plays you make at a pot that based on the information provided had a very low percentage chance of success.

For example,
Three bet TT OOP
Get called
C-bet undercard flop
Get Called
Check / shove a turn bet that basically commited your opp.

At the time I did not stop and think before shoving the turn. Zomg, this guy is making a play at me... etc. Based on the size of his turn bet my shove was spew.

You must look at the information available to you at the time of your play. If you had good reason to believe the play would work it is not spew. Therefore, you should never spew.

IMO, The idea that a good aggresive player will spew every now and then is a cop out. You should make good decisions everytime, anything less is unacceptable.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you aren't spewing sometimes then you are probably playing like a vag

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who believes that, either isnt using the same definition of spew as they should be, or is a poor player trying to justify their poor playing.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM

this is all obviously very definition based
Old 11-19-2007, 01:06 PM

If you are a decent winner with an AF > 3.5, then there's a fine line between well judged aggression and spew.

If your AF<2 then... if it looks like spew and feels like spew, it IS spew.

The point is to get really good, you need to experiment with just how aggressively you can push some bluff/ thin value bet boundaries - and it's easy to think (mistakenly) that means you are just spewing, when you may in fact be playing quite well but running bad.

But basically playing superaggro on tilt often = spew because you stopped bothering to calculate the chance a play will actually work, and you're randomly firing $s into pots more in hope than considered expectation.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

If I don't know if it's spew or not I call it a razor thin value bet or an agressive call [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

From the luegofuego well (my emphasis):
[ QUOTE ]
but the #1 leak everyone should work on is their WWSF. ive seen lots of people say that an acceptable WWSF is 38+. thats rubbish. i think my WWSF of 46 is in the absolute lowpoint of what i would allow it to be. all great players have a high WWSF. try to work on it. double barrel more, threebarrel more, checkraise more. experiment with trying to win some pots - [censored] dont have jack [censored] most of the time. overbet shove the river when villain checkcalled two streets! defend ur BB, checkraise an ace high flop! he cant have it every time, can he? if u feel like ur spewing, u are probably right. but u will get better at spewing the more u try it. most good players have been spewtards at one point or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]
If spew is the splashing around and making (possible) thin plays then I'm afraid I'm not doing it enough (e.g. raising nits on the river) - if it's the tilted one I'm not doing it, but I usually only play short sessions (< 2 hours).
Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 PM

i spew a pretty huge amount given my winrate
leads me to think that the metagame influence of spewing is bigger than people think
Old 11-19-2007, 01:10 PM

almost never for me..
nah.. maybe a few times a day, a buyin here, a buyin there, who's counting
Old 11-19-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you aren't spewing sometimes then you are probably playing like a vag

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who believes that, either isnt using the same definition of spew as they should be, or is a poor player trying to justify their poor playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

read what i wrote then comment