Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Yanks offer job to Girardi

[ QUOTE ]
I'd think Torre's relationship with the players had very real implications on whether certain players sign and resign with the Yanks. That reputation goes a long way towards bringing back Rocket, Petite etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

the same clemens and pettite who went to houston?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually playoffs are pretty much random. You can help your cause by being the Red Sox and raping the Secret Sauce, but it's more random than not. Sorry.

The Braves only winning one championship during their ridiculous division run was actually statistically probable. That's how random it is. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The manager of a team is the key reason why a team does or does not advance in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry.

Try again?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:45 PM

You are making a clear mistake in cause/effect relationships, CDS.

Here are two big misconceptions about sports that should be reversed:

1) The Pittsburgh Steelers win because they run the ball. (The Steelers run the ball because they win. -Football Outsiders, 2006)

2) Teams win because of great leadership from the manager. (Great leadership from the manager is because teams win. -Baseball Between the Numbers)

Seriously, just do the research. Vyse is a troll and often a sycophant, but he's right this time.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 PM

lol charlie don't surf
Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vyse is a troll and often a sycophant, but he's right this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't say I've ever minded being called a troll -- ignore me if you think so -- but lmfao, a sycophant? I'm pretty sure not a single person on 2p2 likes me and that I've pissed off 95% of the people in any forum I've ever posted in. Wait, what?

Oh ya, not to mention about 99.9% of the time the most respected posters / mods are by far the least knowledgable and say the most asinine statements that I can't not take them to task.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually playoffs are pretty much random. You can help your cause by being the Red Sox and raping the Secret Sauce, but it's more random than not. Sorry.

The Braves only winning one championship during their ridiculous division run was actually statistically probable. That's how random it is. Get over it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The manager of a team is the key reason why a team does or does not advance in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry.

Try again?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are making a clear mistake in cause/effect relationships, CDS.

Here are two big misconceptions about sports that should be reversed:

1) The Pittsburgh Steelers win because they run the ball. (The Steelers run the ball because they win. -Football Outsiders, 2006)

2) Teams win because of great leadership from the manager. (Great leadership from the manager is because teams win. -Baseball Between the Numbers)

Seriously, just do the research. Vyse is a troll and often a sycophant, but he's right this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

---Teams win because of great leadership from the manager.---

(Great leadership from the manager is because teams win. -Baseball Between the Numbers)

I don't agree with the first part of this statement.
and it lso depends on what your are defining as "leadership" by the manager.

But I do believe that a manager's personality and his ability to deal with crisises/conflicts that arise amongst the players can affect a team's psyche/overall dynamic and their ability to perform at peak performance on the floor.

I probably over stated how huge a influence it has but i disagree that it has little to no influence.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:21 PM

So Arod's not a choker, it's Torre's fault, and it's also Torres fault that Rivera blew the saves in game 4 against Boston and game 7 against Arizona, and hell, he can't even get them out of the first round the last three years. Clearly he sucks and was dragging down one of the most talented teams in baseball, he lost his mojo somewhere around 2001 and is lucky to have lasted this long.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So Arod's not a choker, it's Torre's fault, and it's also Torres fault that Rivera blew the saves in game 4 against Boston and game 7 against Arizona, and hell, he can't even get them out of the first round the last three years. Clearly he sucks and was dragging down one of the most talented teams in baseball, he lost his mojo somewhere around 2001 and is lucky to have lasted this long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit it on the head.

Wait. Are you being sarcastic?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and it's also Torres fault that Rivera blew the saves in game 4 against Boston and game 7 against Arizona

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT