Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM

Default A \"do I owe my friend this money\" thread, slightly atypical

Or maybe not, but to me this seems like a closer call than a lot of these threads. Last weekend I went to Vegas for a bachelor party for a friend of mine. Good friend that I have known FOREVER, but I don't see him too much. I didn't make the decision to go until that week, so there had been NO discussions regarding where I would stay, where they were all staying, etc. This didn't bother me, as I wasn't flying in until Saturday afternoon and was leaving on Sunday early afternoon, and kind of assumed we would just be up the whole time. They (being the group of 10 guys), for the most part, had been there since Thursday. When I get there, turns out he had booked two rooms at Bellagio. They were there when I got there, and I stashed my backpack in the room. All is well and good, lots of drinking, gambling, strippers, etc., no real talk of sleep. At five or so, people are talking about doing different things, e.g., gambling at Bellagio, going to the Wynn and gambling, etc. I went off with a couple of the guys who were NOT staying at Bellagio, and had a time share off the strip. Long story short, I end up crashing at their place for maybe three hours, then going and changing at Bellagio in the morning.

Get an e-mail yesterday from my friend the bachelor, essentially billing us all for the Bellagio stay. Before this gets discussed, the reality is I am going to pay, because it is only $85, and I don't see the guy too often and it wouldn't be worth a fight. But should I be perturbed?

My perturbed-ness is due slightly to another incident that occurred. Whether that is justified, I'll also leave for OOT to decide:

On Saturday night we go to Capital Grille for dinner. Pretty decent place, not outrageously expensive, but not cheap. The group is full of professionals, e.g., a couple lawyers, a few doctors, and a couple guys in finance. Me and another guy are the only ones who remain students, i.e., we're poor. As such, I order cheap, not out of an inherent cheapness, but a flat out inability to afford. Just a steak and a salad, no sides, no drinks. Everyone else goes crazy, ordering several Grey Goose and Redbulls, a couple bottles of wine, several sides, dessert, etc. Y'all are probably seeing where this is going. We get the check, and split it equally. I know it's the easiest, but I can't afford a $200 meal, which is why I kept my order to about $50. Justifiedly perturbed?

Cliff Notes: Friend "charges" me for a room at Bellagio I didn't sleep in, and we had no agreement or discussion, formal or informal about where I would be staying. Also, split an almost $2000 dinner bill equally, when my "share" should have been only about $60.