Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Analytical interview questions

I honestly don't see the point of these questions. Like what can you really tell from a question like "how many lightbulbs are on the vegas strip?" or "how many basketballs can fit in this room?" It just involves having someone make assumptions that you really can't expect them to know anything about, and then doing lots of math in their head.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:54 PM

BPS - It's not about the math. It's about the logic and process of thinking the interviewee uses to get there. It's the same as 'showing your work' on math tests. You don't get any points for just giving the right answer. They want to see how your brain works.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM

could you kill a horse with your bare hands?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 PM

How much white paint is sold in the US annually?

How many pennies are there in the nearest large city?

How many bicycles are there in China?

How many ping-pong balls fit in a 747 is common.

How many gas stations in this town?

If you had 3 'hub' airports for your airline, where in the US would you put them to maximize profits?

If X trades take place on the NYSE on average, how would you model the # of trades on a 'crash' day?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Bison,

If I answered these questions by Googling them, would I get the job?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have two fuses… they burn at different rates and not at steady rates. BUT! They only burn for one hour. One could burn the entire way except one inch within one minute, then spend the last 59 on that last inch, for example. You also have to use this to somehow time 45 minutes exactly. How would you do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

this one is easy
spoiler alert
<font color="white">there are two fuses, for sake of argument i will call them fuse A and fuse B. at the 0 point in time you will burn BOTH sides A and one side of B. this means that fuze A will be completely exhausted in half an hour, but only 30 minutes of B will be completed (leaving a half hour left). at that point in time you burn the remaining side of B. with 30 minutes left on that fuze, burning both ends will result in a 15 minute burn resulting in a total time of 45 minutes.</font>
Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BPS - It's not about the math. It's about the logic and process of thinking the interviewee uses to get there. It's the same as 'showing your work' on math tests. You don't get any points for just giving the right answer. They want to see how your brain works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but what logic is really involved in these processes? It's all just guessing: like, "ok, I guess a basketball is this big, the room is this wide, so this many b-balls can fit in one row." then you do that for the other rows, then you try to go up. But then the balls are spheres, and I for one don't know anything about spherical packing, so then I'm just guessing again for the next layers up.

I guess I don't see how this really weeds out candidates? Bison or other interviewers, could you maybe give examples of good or bad answers or what you are looking for in their answers? As long as they aren't retarded, I don't see how people can't come up with some assumptions and logic to work off of to reach some sort of answer.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Bison,

Why are manhole covers circles instead of rectangles?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but what logic is really involved in these processes? It's all just guessing:

[/ QUOTE ]

You fail.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, but what logic is really involved in these processes? It's all just guessing:

[/ QUOTE ]

You fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how I would try to do the b-ball problem is wrong? Like why ask questions with numerical answers if they just want to see how you think?