Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Farha/Townsend stiff dealer?

Not that anyone cares at this point, but the point of Linda’s story about the tip was not to “divulge” that she was stiffed. No one really cares - everyone knows that is standard. (Pathetic, but that's for another thread.)

The reason for writing about it was to share with the reader the Sweater and Linda’s brief moment of bonding:

"They both ignored her. As she left with Sam she turned to me and said, 'I tried.'

I laughed and said, 'I know. Thanks'.”
Old 06-08-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TT,

"thats incorrect, she is "disclosing trade secrets""

LOL. Seriously, dude, I've told you this countless times. Stick to talking about stuff you know something about!

This has absolutely nothing to do with trade secrets.[/url]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have missed the previous post from spacemanspliff with this link - link. You of all people here know that I have tons of experiance with employee/employer relations, a customer's habits would most likely fall under that domain - HR could use "trade secrets" disclosure as a reason for termination when in reality the employee discussed the customers. Of course if Linda has approval to do this then she is protected, but all it would take is one pissed off customer to bring down the house of cards on her ability to be so frank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd still argue that the Bellagio can't really do anything to keep this a secret since it's a public place of business. That's why there are trials though.

I'm actually posting because I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that my screenname is actually spacemanspiff (hero of many of Calvin's daydreams in Calvin & Hobbes). I'm afraid it's just a little too creepy for me to see that associated with spliffs. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you should explain the same to the guy who was laughing his ass off that a high stakes player tipped a dealer a redbird. I assume you are a dealer since you're so pissed off at my opinion. BTW, I don't give a [censored] if a good dealer makes $100k/yr -- good for him. My only point is that someone who TIPS a redbird shouldn't be bashed for doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, now you sound different. In your other post you said words to the effect of no dealer has any business making more than 50k a year. I'm saying it's a free economy -- if that's what they make for dealing cards, that's what they make.

As for Townsend/Farha, in my opinion they do deserve to be bashed (Townsend in particular). Tipping is not mandatory, blah blah blah, we all now that. It is, however, an unwritten rule of basic courtesy and decency in our society that certain service-rendering employees (esp. the ones who rely on tips to make a decent living), are to be shown a small token of appreciation if they do a good job.

I'm not sure what you are referencing as far as the red bird, but it seems like Townsend didn't even give her that. Believe me, if he had tipped her a mere $5 after her down, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. It's the insult of giving the dealer absolutely nothing after an 8+ hour session that everybody finds so disturbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree that giving absolutely nothing is absurd. The redbird reference was to another person's post.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No way someone pitching cards across a table should make more than $50k/yr.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've said this in a few threads in the past I think, and I'm not really sure why. They make exactly what they're supposed to make which is what people DECIDE to tip them and based on how many hands per hour they get out. If dealers don't cut into my action (by dealing quickly and efficiently), I'm certainly not going to cut into theirs when someone decides to tip generously.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Another poster mentioned that a high stakes player tipped $5 at the end of a down and that it was humorous. I don't think it's humorous since if they were tipped that much every down they wouldn't make an unreasonable wage. I should have said "no way someone pitching cards should complain about making only $50k/yr." As I mentioned earlier, if a good dealer makes $100k/yr, good for him/her.

My main issue when it comes to tipping is people in such professions having a sense of entitlement. What's even worse is when outsiders take part in that by mocking someone who tips "too little", when in actually such a tip is completely reasonable.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just found this on Pocket 5's, from Townsend:

"I had a rack of reds which I used to tip each dealer $5 dollars. It sounds like this dealer was at the end of the match and it must have slipped my mind. I did my best to tip each dealer $5, but I am sure I forgot at times."

So he actually meant to give her $5, he just forgot. Oops.

Link: http://www.pocketfives.com/3E437884-...C1F809A07.aspx

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the dozen plus dealers that were stiffed. So far no dealer has been found to have been toked by townsend in the past 48 hrs.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell that to the dozen plus dealers that were stiffed. So far no dealer has been found to have been toked by townsend in the past 48 hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your source on this?
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your source on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets just say 1st hand knowledge.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:40 PM

TT,

I think the argument for "trade secrets - customer habits" would be much stronger if Linda discussed the play of hands or the participants play in any way. She, rather pointedly, did not do so:
[ QUOTE ]
Brian and Sam talked a little back and forth about who was winner, who won yesterday, etc. I do not know and I do not care, it has nothing to do with me so I don’t care to report any of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

(also, I call BS on the "not caring", who won. I mean, she probably wasn't emotionally invested, but from a strictly informational point of view, how could you not be curious? But whatevs...)
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 PM

Hey everyone else has replied I have to add my $.02 too!

I can't see how Linda can have a problem here. She is disclosing something that took place in what is basically a public place. Yes Bobby's Room is closed off but it's got windows and people peering in there all the time. Anyone standing within 10 feet of the room entrance might have heard the final exchange of "I tried..." etc.

Given that, Linda could have blogged about this and not mentioned names but said that in dealing a very high stakes PLO headsup match in the last day or two in Bobby's Room it happened. Gee, no one would EVER figure out who the players were right? Wrong.

She simply disclosed something that happened in a public place that any number of people could have witnessed firsthand. Had she been posting hand play details which the public cannot really see without being in the room then she'd have a problem, IMHO.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 PM

I don't understand how it isn't painfully obvious to everyone that Linda should use discretion. Ignoring the law, it's just impractical and unethical for an employee to speak ill of his/her employee's best clients.

Also, the nature of the _public_ complain is rather questionable. Any person in the service industry should never except tips and should always be thankful to receive them. Card dealers expect them, because of a myriad of reasons, but it doesn't change how they should act.

Further, I don't fault Aba for not toking. He's playing for HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. If he tips a check, good for him and the dealer. He should toke, but when there is that much money in front of him, if he forgets, he forgets. I really don't think this can be held against him.