Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:33 AM

Default Re: So U R going to LV During WSOP---STFU and watch!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the "last aggressive action shows first" rule controversial? I'd look at the dealer like he grew a second head if he asked me to show first. I'd just like to know so I can give the floor pre-emtive crap about a horrible rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Standard" in Vegas is "last aggressor shows first if there was action on the river. If the river was checked down, hands are shown starting with left of the button and working around. Which is what fishhead describes, he just phrased it differently.

There are exceptions. Dunno if they still do it, or if they ever really did it, but a dealer once explained in great and explicit detail that the rule at Bally's is last aggressor shows first, regardless of what street the action took place. So if it's bet on the flop, but checked on the turn and river, whomever bet the flop is first to show. But that's unusual and I was never really sure that was an official Bally's rule and not just a single dealer on crack. I was surprised by this and made sure she had said what I thought she said, and she explained she was 100% sure that was the official Bally's rule. But I never asked a floor and oddly enough, in like the year since that happened there hasn't been any controversy about who shows first when I've played at Bally's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper terminology from some 30 years ago when I was a kid and around this racket was "He who initiates last action shows first."

When there was a check, bet, call on the turn, and a check check on the river, what was the last action and whom initiated it?

Answer correctly and get a cookie.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MOST of the time the people that play/work there full time know the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

i stopped reading right here because i was laughing so hard. RU insane?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:50 AM

It's also funny that you mention age as a determining factor of how well somebody knows the rules. In my experience young dealers know the rules better than some of the ones that have been around for a long time. There are exceptions to this of course.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 AM

Answer the quiz & get a cookie.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's also funny that you mention age as a determining factor of how well somebody knows the rules. In my experience young dealers know the rules better than some of the ones that have been around for a long time. There are exceptions to this of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please point out where above was implied.

reading comprehension at it's finest.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MOST of the time the people that play/work there full time know the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

i stopped reading right here because i was laughing so hard. RU insane?

[/ QUOTE ]

So those that are working/playing there full time should ask the tourist how it should be?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To wit

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
OMG, you don't know the most basic of grammar rules. It's "you're" not "your".

Good story though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the Spelling/grammar NITS had gone extinct, but just like the Ceolacanth, they have reappeared. I wonder if they have a stronghold in Africa also?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The #1 reason why this is a problem is the card rooms themselves. The room should provide rulebooks (they do at Commerce for example) but they rarely do anywhere else. Without a rulebook how is a tourist supposed to know the rules of a specific poker room? Until rulebooks are made available in Vegas rooms we should start putting the blame on the card room rather than the ignorance of the tourist/player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you are mistaken about this, Without actually debating the merits of handing players a rulebook, I think its pretty fair to say that most of the people (especially the people bigfishead is talking about) simply would not even bother to ask for a the book or read the book at least until after the argument/floor ruling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first argument is going to come, thats inevitable. Then all the dealer has to say is "after the hand is complete sir you can verify the rule in the rule book, as a dealer I am required to memorize it" - and keep a stack under each table so the dealer can hand it to the player. Its really not as bad at Commerce as I have seen it in other rooms because of this, except for when the player cannot read English.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the "last aggressive action shows first" rule controversial? I'd look at the dealer like he grew a second head if he asked me to show first. I'd just like to know so I can give the floor pre-emtive crap about a horrible rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Standard" in Vegas is "last aggressor shows first if there was action on the river. If the river was checked down, hands are shown starting with left of the button and working around. Which is what fishhead describes, he just phrased it differently.

There are exceptions. Dunno if they still do it, or if they ever really did it, but a dealer once explained in great and explicit detail that the rule at Bally's is last aggressor shows first, regardless of what street the action took place. So if it's bet on the flop, but checked on the turn and river, whomever bet the flop is first to show. But that's unusual and I was never really sure that was an official Bally's rule and not just a single dealer on crack. I was surprised by this and made sure she had said what I thought she said, and she explained she was 100% sure that was the official Bally's rule. But I never asked a floor and oddly enough, in like the year since that happened there hasn't been any controversy about who shows first when I've played at Bally's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proper terminology from some 30 years ago when I was a kid and around this racket was "He who initiates last action shows first."

When there was a check, bet, call on the turn, and a check check on the river, what was the last action and whom initiated it?

Answer correctly and get a cookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last action was the out-of-position player checking the river. It was initiated by said out-of-position player.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] cookies