Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 03:47 AM

Default 2/4 big pot with AK, whoops I make a pair

button villain is ahhShark. i have him at 24.7/18.6/3.45 over 1359 hands. He likes to see flops. But wtf here? He'd been mostly giving me respect as I'd been running pretty tight on this table. If you bet, do you bet anything less than allin (i would imagine if youre gonna bet, you gotta shove)? if you check, do you call a shove, and what do you do if he bets less than a shove? He has 440 left on the turn, I cover.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $4 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($647.55)
SB ($583.20)
Hero ($711.10)
UTG ($618)
MP ($770.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $16</font>, MP calls $16, Button calls $16, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $74</font>, UTG folds, MP folds, Button calls $58.

Flop: ($182) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $134</font>, Button calls $134.

Turn: ($450) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?? <font color="#CC3333">
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 AM

Default Re: 2/4 big pot with AK, whoops I make a pair

this would be a super easy shove if you didn't have the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

as it is, i would still shove, since i would often shove on the scare card, here, especially with semibluffs, and it looks super fishy anyway
Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 AM

c/f
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 AM

I shove, looks like a squeeze gone bad or a draw.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:13 AM

generally if villain is giving hero respect he wont call light. looks like villain has either an UI pocket pair or a set. betting the turn ace with AK is good sometimes but i really prefer c/f in this situation... if you shove you only get called when drawing dead, and only hands beating you should bet this turn. i'd check turn and c/c river.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
generally if villain is giving hero respect he wont call light. looks like villain has either an UI pocket pair or a set. betting the turn ace with AK is good sometimes but i really prefer c/f in this situation... if you shove you only get called when drawing dead, and only hands beating you should bet this turn. i'd check turn and c/c river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like your thinking except i would imagine suited connecting stuff to be in his range here too (mostly pf, but at least some of the time post flop). there is a lot of money in the pot and they are 150bbs deep.

w/ that said i don't think it affects his range too much when he just flat calls the flop (i.e. he's shoving sc'ish hands that caught a piece) so i still like your line. just throwing that out there as i think it makes the hand a lil more tricky.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:32 PM

you are def ahead a lot here... now how do we get his stack??

i'd say a lot of times we can push here and get called by worse hands, even non-A's but it's a pretty risky play. i could see him reading you for a bluff shove a lot and still not calling for 100+BB's on the turn.

does anyone else think that b/c the pot is so big we can bet like 125 or 150 on the turn and def get called and then hopefully def get called by a committed villain on the river?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 PM

Given your read (likes to see flops), I think it's criminal to c/f. But betting the turn is weak too because you're pretty much in a wa/wb spot. Check to induce a bluff (and probably call), and depending on river card/stack sizes either bet or c/c (maaaybe fold... need more details on river card/stacks/bet).
Old 02-19-2007, 05:54 PM

you're behind here very rarely against ahhshark.

That said, I think the only way to get more money out of him is to check it... and then you encounter the more difficult part of what to do provided he even bets for you.

I kinda just like c/c, and checking the river, as it's a safer line and easier for him to bluff at I guess. Weird spot though.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're pretty much in a wa/wb spot

[/ QUOTE ]
no no no