Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you have made that call?
No, but I still want to kill myself 27 57.45%
Yes, and now I want to kill myself 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: How good is Tim Duncan?

[ QUOTE ]
He means top "4", as in power forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, I think hes already there for what its worth.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go look at KG's numbers (I remember we discussed it here once). KG vs. TD is pretty damn close.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Guy wrote this week that in 15 years, some stats guy will run the #'s and conclude that KG > TD, and he will be wrong. looks like he underestimated it by a few years [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha actually True Hoop references this.

I think a big part of Duncan > KG is part of the efficiency thing MWII mentioned. He's just an incredibly smart player, you never see him doing something stupid, and he always seems in control. I can't stand him but I would absolutely trust him in any situation on the court.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

Free throws?

You need an option to view results, otherwise you get a lot of noise in the results.
edit: lol, no one ever beats the holy trinity.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Mano, I'm glad you made this post. Since nobody was commenting on that other thread I thought everyone just agreed Duncan was better than Magic and Bird. I thought everyone had lost their mind.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go look at KG's numbers (I remember we discussed it here once). KG vs. TD is pretty damn close.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Sports Guy wrote this week that in 15 years, some stats guy will run the #'s and conclude that KG > TD, and he will be wrong. looks like he underestimated it by a few years [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha actually True Hoop references this.

I think a big part of Duncan > KG is part of the efficiency thing MWII mentioned. He's just an incredibly smart player, you never see him doing something stupid, and he always seems in control. I can't stand him but I would absolutely trust him in any situation on the court.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

Free throws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha my wording above was overly broad - I guess I meant more an on-court situation he has alot of control over (obviously he'd prefer Manu or someone be shooting FTs at end of games). Though actually, I was curious and checked out the "Clutch Free Throwing Stats" at 82games (measures increase in FT% over "non clutch" situations) - Duncan's Up There

PokerFink - I'm not sure if pace is the best argument when thinking about KG vs. Duncan. Maybe I'm off, but while Spurs are obviously historically a low-possession team, I don't remember KG's peak Minny teams as being particularly high-pace.

-Al
Old 05-18-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need an option to view results, otherwise you get a lot of noise in the results.
edit: lol, no one ever beats the holy trinity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true, but I think viewing the results first throws in bias, and I did not want to be accused of biasing results (hopefully the noise is uniform) - that is why I am not commenting for a while (I probably should have ordered the names differently too - my bad).
Old 05-18-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not really fair to compare KG and TD using raw numbers because of pace.

Also, TD is a better defensive player.

[/ QUOTE ]

not like KG is a slouch defensively, they are pretty close there as well

both are 31, but KG has 181more games played

[/ QUOTE ]

Duncan was NBA ready when he entered. KG came striaght out from HS and had a relatively bad rookie year.

KG's D is not bad. But Duncan's D is awesome. If Duncan's offensive numbers suck, he'd probably be Defense Player of the Year a couple of times.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerFink - I'm not sure if pace is the best argument when thinking about KG vs. Duncan. Maybe I'm off, but while Spurs are obviously historically a low-possession team, I don't remember KG's peak Minny teams as being particularly high-pace.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

The Twolves have been all over the place in terms of pace over Garnett's career. On average, they have played significantly faster than Duncan's Spurs. Interesting to note though, Garnett's 2 best years (03-04 and 04-05) were the years where Minnesota was playing at a San Antonio like pace (well, not quite, but close enough). I personally go with Duncan in this one. Duncan and Garnett are the same age (within like a month of each other if I remember right), so it makes it super convenient comparing their stats in a given year (Don't have to adjust for age). While Garnett has played more games by virtue of coming in so young his longevity isn't great enough to overcome the gap betwewen he and Duncan. While Garnett's peak may have been a little better (his MVP year was probably the best year either of them have ever had), Duncan has been more consistently dominant, and his peak during his peak (the same 2 years as Garnett's) he was right behind Garnett as the second best player in the league. Throw out 2005-2006, when everyone acknowledges Duncan had pretty serious foot injury (and even with it, he was still damn good), Duncan is working on a 6 year prime that is stellar.

Add to that the fact that Duncan's defensive ratings for his entire career have been insanely consistent and good (he's almost always at about a 94), and I think it's Duncan pretty convincingly.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Larry Bird's mind was so focused that he would attain jhana levels of concentration so deep that he would just slow the game down to frame by frame, one hoop dharma at a time. In Larry's mind, 48 minutes of basketball would take about a month and a half.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I need in my life? More masturbatory posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Philip Rivers is 6'5''.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He means top "4", as in power forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, I think hes already there for what its worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people do now, and it looks like any attempts to get people to realize he's a center just aren't going to work.