Old 09-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Obsolete Skills

suzzer,

"WOW, how did that one slip this far w/o getting mentioned?"

It didn't
Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Bands and/or artists making albums.

Before the invention of the CD, albums often told a story from one side to the next with the songs. Then the CD came along, and this changed somewhat. Now, with MP3s taking over, an actual studio album like this is virtually non-existent. Artists now focus on singles alone and never the collection of songs as a whole.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bands and/or artists making albums.

Before the invention of the CD, albums often told a story from one side to the next with the songs. Then the CD came along, and this changed somewhat. Now, with MP3s taking over, an actual studio album like this is virtually non-existent. Artists now focus on singles alone and never the collection of songs as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Concept albums were never very popular in the first place. They were fairly rare outside of the progressive genre. Because the progressive genre is not a very popular today, that's one of the reasons not many concept albums are released.

2) Just last year, a pretty popular group released a concept album that sold over a million copies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Parade

And quite a few more obscure bands have released concept albums in the past 10 years, such as Flower Kings, Dream Theater, Opeth, Spock's Beard, and Mastodon.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suzzer,

"WOW, how did that one slip this far w/o getting mentioned?"

It didn't

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading w/o skimming ftw!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing in cursive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good example. I haven't written in cursive, or even printed a long paragraph in YEARS. A month or so ago, for whatever reason, I decided to write a few sentences in cursive. I'd totally forgotten several letters, heh.

Also, blowing on Nintendo cartridges is also a pretty accurate answer. There's also a certain amount of pressure you need apply to get the game to work and not display that flashing grey screen.

I still play my Nintendo these days, but I'd have to assume that most of today's children have no idea about the old school games. I wonder if their attention span could handle something so simple when they're used to the graphic heavy games of today.

[/ QUOTE ]

there never was a need to blow, the trick is to stick the cartridge in there, push it down all the way, and shove another one in there right on top, works 99.999% of the time, and you dont feel lightheaded.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:02 PM

I can program in C. That's handy now.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can program in COBOL

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing in cursive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good example. I haven't written in cursive, or even printed a long paragraph in YEARS. A month or so ago, for whatever reason, I decided to write a few sentences in cursive. I'd totally forgotten several letters, heh.

Also, blowing on Nintendo cartridges is also a pretty accurate answer. There's also a certain amount of pressure you need apply to get the game to work and not display that flashing grey screen.

I still play my Nintendo these days, but I'd have to assume that most of today's children have no idea about the old school games. I wonder if their attention span could handle something so simple when they're used to the graphic heavy games of today.

[/ QUOTE ]

there never was a need to blow, the trick is to stick the cartridge in there, push it down all the way, and shove another one in there right on top, works 99.999% of the time, and you dont feel lightheaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to do this AND blow on it to get my nintendo to work in its later years.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM

I write in cursive all the time. It's way faster, not having to lift my pen off the page nearly as often, and I can do it perfectly legibly, thank you very much. Why does anyone write any other way?

(realizing I sound like an old person in this thread)
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing in cursive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to do this AND blow on it to get my nintendo to work in its later years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had to take the cover off my Nintendo and wipe down the slots with alcohol, then pry them up to make them tighter.

Then I would put the cover back on and use a C battery to put pressure on the cartridge. It also helps to have the cartridge as close to the edge of being properly inserted. Twisting it a bit is also good.

But blowing still helps for some reason.

BTW 64 runs in 9 innings in RBI baseball. Can anyone beat that?