Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

one day when I was a kid, my dad showed me a pile of wood he had bought on the workshop floor. he told me he was going to make me a desk out of that wood, and I didn't believe him. he made me an awesome colonial desk with a fold out top and all sorts of little drawers.

the whole thing is dovetailed together, and was perfectly solid with no glue at all, although he glued it for good measure.

when I was much older I found out something very interesting about the way my dad built my desk. although he had a bunch of tools, he decided to build my desk the way it would have been built in the time period it was from, and so he didn't use any electric tools at all. since every joint is a dovetail, he cut all those dovetails by hand. this is the kind of person my dad is.

he's built almost all the furniture in me and my sister's house, and it's all really beautiful. a lot of projects he does with no written out blueprint or plan, just has it in his head. he doesn't think this is particularly special or weird in any way.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 AM

I've posted this story before, but I was too lazy to find the link. When home for Thanksgiving in my first year of college, I banged my HS girlfriend at my house while my parents were upstairs sleeping. Afterwards, I took the condom off and left it in the bathroom sink and drove my girlfriend home. When I got home, I forgot to throw away the condom and went to bed. I got up the next morning and saw the condom in the sink and immediately threw it away. No one said anything about it at breakfast, so I assumed no one had seen it. Later that day my dad and I were golfing and our matches used get pretty competitive, even if we were only playing for $20. On the 17th hole I was getting ready to putt for birdie to win the hole and close out the match, and my dad casually says, "Your mom found the condom in the sink this morning and is very pissed." I was totally flustered, blew the putt past the hole and ended up three putting and losing the hole. Still being a little flustered, I then hooked my tee shot out of bounds on the next hole, my dad won the hole and we ended up pushing the match. As we were heading home and I was dreading facing my mom, my dad tells me that mom hadnt really found the condom and he was just messing with me.

After that, he said to me before I went out each time I was home from school, "Have fun, but dont get her pregnant!"
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My dad used to get pissed at my bro and I in HS for getting [censored]-faced with groups of friends in our basement. Instead of doing it calmly, he's just walk down wearing nothing but whitey-tighties to declare, in Old Man Ramble, "Ya'll Gotta Git." Ask 'T0ne about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha. Yeah, Chuck's pretty awesome.

My dad? Meh, nothing special.

My grandpa(s)? Awesome.

G-pa 1:
-rented the cheapest apartment possible in Philly after he took a job there so my dad and his family could stay in their schools in North Jersey. Drove back and forth a ton to see them.
-Was one of the best masters-level (aka old guy) sailors in the world.

G-pa 2:
-taught at 6 or 7 universities across the southeast
-ate lunches with Bear Bryant and Adolph Rupp while he was dean of athletic dorms at UK
-personally invited by MLK Jr to march in Selma (he accepted)
-huge patron of the jazz music scene while teaching at Tulane. I still know all the clubs to visit thanks that him.
-has a scholarship named after him at UGA
-got to hang out with John Hope Franklin and go buy some ham after his funeral, which was possibly the first true jazz funeral in the history of Athens, GA
Old 11-30-2007, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys know that some online poker sites have special 'televised' tables, and there is a channel that broadcasts these online poker tables with commentary?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, what?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No really funny stories, but my dad's lived a pretty cool life as a professional jazz musician for over 45 years. If someone's a pretty big name i nthe jazz business, there's a pretty good chance my old man's played with him at some point. He released two albums last year, and has been a Grammy voter forever, stuff like that.

He also had a Cubs minor league tryout in the 50s, but as a good hit no field shortstop...that didn't quite cut it, heh.

He'd also take us out of school to go to Orioles spring training in Miami, back in the 70s. Fun times.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your dad's name?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 AM

1) My dad worked long hours at a very demanding job but somehow still found time to coach me and my siblings in whatever sport we were playing (after learning how to do it himself). He was never late for a practice or game and was always in a great mood when he got there, despite having to skip lunch and rush around all day to make it there on time. As a coach he was all about good sportsmanship, trying your best, having fun, etc.

2) This is a weird sentimental one. He always packed the lunches for us kids the night before school. They'd all be personalized to our individual tastes of the week - even when my sister became a "lunchtime vegetarian." Yes, we had a mom (she was great, too) but this was just dad's thing to do.

I'm a dad now myself and sadly, my dad is gone, but now I do these same things for my kid and it feels great to know where that came from.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 AM

Hmmm,

My father was killed by a drunk driver right after I was born, so I'm probably subject to some suspect stories about him, but some great stories that have been verified.

1. My dad was about 14 or 15 and showed up at my uncles place all dirty with ripped clothes. My uncle was 23 at the time, married with a kid on the way. He said to him, "I just got jumped by 3 kids at the gas station that tried to steal my money and I'm pissed." My uncle said, "I would be too." My dad said, " Yea, one of them got away and now the front part of my wallet has a rip in it."

2.) My dad broke his ankle coming down for a rebound during basketball season of his junior year of high school, only didn't know it was broken. He walked around on it for three days, aggravating the injury to the point he had to have pins put in it. His ankle could only move vertically, with no lateral movement. His primary sport was baseball, as a pitcher. He still threw two shut outs his senior year and was able to pitch his way though D II on a scholarship.

And one that I haven't been verified, but my favorite...

My dad took over chief of operations of a nursing home at the age of 25. He apparently kept a stong rapport with the residents. When one, well in to her seventies or early eighties, confessed to him that she had breast cancer and would be on leave for treatment, he told her "I'll miss you and you clevage" with a wink. She died just under a year later; in her will she left her first push up bra to my dad.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:18 AM

Both of my parents we're just over 20 when i was born. The money was really tight so my dad had to sell most of his huge vinyl-collection to get some money for the family.

My dad did also sing in couple of bands, including a rock-band called... Rock. They were interviewed to several music-papers. He did also sing in a hardcore punk-band called Penis Surprise. Their songs include "Sperm operating flashlight", "Incredible torture" and "A Ton of Frozen Meat".

He pretty much always has high-quality weed.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you guys know that some online poker sites have special 'televised' tables, and there is a channel that broadcasts these online poker tables with commentary?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait, what?

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw these when i was in the UK. They seem to be play money tables, as far as I could tell. The play is INCREDIBLY bad (people folding their bb for .25 more, people limp folding with 4 bbs, etc) which leads me to believe its play money. I never could get money on the site.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:42 AM

My dad just wrote a book called "Asesinato en Miami Beach" (Murderer in Miami Beach) and is selling great in Argentina. It will also be sold in the US in the near future. BTW, he's a doctor.