Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Question about Effective Stacks for HUSNGs

Say I'm cruising along and I have 2250 chips to my opponent's 750 chips at 25/50. Effective stacks are therefore 15bb. I'm unsure of how to apply this "knowledge" during the game. Does this mean that I should play the same at 750 chips as 2250 chips since we have the same effective stacks? The only difference I see is that I can put him at risk for all his chips whereas he cannot. This should affect how aggressively I play (ie more aggressively at 2250 than 750), but should it change how loose/tight I play (2250 vs 750)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Question about Effective Stacks for HUSNGs

It should not affect your strategy according to Chris Ferguson if you are ahead or behind in chips heads up. Play according to the effective stack size rather you have more or not.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

I this point I am still applying pressure. Stealing with just about atc is going to make my opponent concede the blind. At this point, he is trying to trap me with a nut hand. I hope to grind him down to 500 or so, and then slow it down a bit, because at this point, they are able to re-steal easier with marginal hands like J9o. I don't want to face shoves when I am staring a 69s. This is opponent dependent.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:35 PM

I've always tried to play the same in both situations.

If your opponent plays different in each situation (which is common) then you obviously have to adjust and therefore you're playing differently in these two situations, but I think the standard play should be the same.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I this point I am still applying pressure. Stealing with just about atc is going to make my opponent concede the blind. At this point, he is trying to trap me with a nut hand. I hope to grind him down to 500 or so, and then slow it down a bit, because at this point, they are able to re-steal easier with marginal hands like J9o. I don't want to face shoves when I am staring a 69s. This is opponent dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is wrong, it is much easier to resteal the 750 chip stack than it is to resteal the 500 chip stack, anytime you raise with the 500 chip stack you are most likely making a mistake by folding to a push.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is wrong, it is much easier to resteal the 750 chip stack than it is to resteal the 500 chip stack, anytime you raise with the 500 chip stack you are most likely making a mistake by folding to a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If effective stack is 750 (15BB) then shouldn't we be just limping or minraising to avoid the resteal. Seems like these at this point we need to do everything possible to avoid making a resteal easy for the villian. And at 500 (10BB) why would we give room to resteal? Whay the [censored] aren't we pushing?
Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about if I am the big stack.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about if I am the big stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesnt matter if you are big or small, the only things that changes is how villain plays.