Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Wrong # of chips given at start of tourney

My buddy and I were playin' the V's noon tourney yesterday. I rarely play tournies and he virtually never does. During the 1st break (after the end of the 3rd level) my buddy tells me that everyone at his table got 8775 in chips (everyone is sposed to start with 7500).

I advised him to tell the tourney director once he is out of the tourney. I figured what's done is done, but the tourney director should know he needs to go over pre tourney procedures with his dealers.

To my surprise, once my buddy busted out and notified the floor, the floor proceeds to dock 1500 chips from each player who started the tourney at that table.

1) What should my buddy have done and when should he have done it? Realise he wasn't even sure how many chips he is sposed to start with (1st time he played this tourney. . .it wasn't til he talked to me, at the 1st break, that he was sure somethin' wrong had occurred).

2) What should the floor do? Note that the floor was notified of the problem about 1/2 way through the 6th level (nearly 3 hours into the tourny).
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Post deleted by Ryan Beal

Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Wrong # of chips given at start of tourney

Floor is retarted; there is no proof that your friend's accusation is correct. What if he'd said everyone at his table started with 10k or 12k chips?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:41 AM

I am the friend. The floor did a chip count after being notified and found that there were enough chips out in total to have added around 1500 to everyone's stack at single table at the tourney's start. I started with 8875. The floor, after notification, claimed that we all started with 9k. I know I didn't. I didn't want the whole table pissed at me, so I sat in silence, much like the Germans of the 1930s.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 AM

A clearly better solution is to give 1.5k chips to all players not at your table. If I were at your table, sitting with 1.5k chips, and they told me "you're busted out now," I'd throw a fit right there.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A clearly better solution is to give 1.5k chips to all players not at your table. If I were at your table, sitting with 1.5k chips, and they told me "you're busted out now," I'd throw a fit right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the correct answer. you can't start docking chips also now what do you do with the 1500 chips your buddy had extra thats now spread around? super lame. give 1500 more chips to the field
Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far the best way to fix this problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 AM

Seems apparent that nobody got busted out like that. If they had not broken that table, which also seems like the case, it sounds like a reasonable solution to me. I doubt everyone at that table can use the "I'm a newbie" excuse.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 PM

The players should take some responsibility and have said something. It is your responsibility to know how many chips you are starting with and if there is any discrepancy to tell the floor. Im sure there was one or two people who knew and didn't say anything.

That being said the TD should have added chips to everyone else but that might have been difficult because of a number of reasons....they took away chips they didn't really have in the first place and they don't have them afterwards.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What should my buddy have done and when should he have done it? Realise he wasn't even sure how many chips he is sposed to start with (1st time he played this tourney. . .it wasn't til he talked to me, at the 1st break, that he was sure somethin' wrong had occurred).

[/ QUOTE ]
What he should have done is notify the dealer and TD before the flippin' tourney started. Doing things this way...waiting until you bust and then narcing on the table...is about the worst combination I can imagine. While it was to your benefit, you said nothing. You wait until 2-3 hours into it to tell someone AFTER you've busted? And not a person at the table said anything during that entire time?

Sounds like an overall grand buncha people.