Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Came Across an Interesting Book...

[ QUOTE ]

The point is that if a cylindrical vat is 10 cubits across, it'll be 31.4 cubits around. Does it trouble you that the creator of the universe would make such a simple mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Except, of course, you're making the exact same flavor of mistake.

I obviously enjoyed the opportunity to make a cheap joke but I think that people generally make too much of the "pi = 3" business.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote: "What is the point of you even posting stuff like this? Like why bother?

Also, doesn't being arrogant and judgmental go against the principles of Christianity that you claim to affirm? "

Is there ever any point to humor? I just thought it was a funny joke. Sorry if I came across as judgmental. I just thought a few of the guys on here were big enough to laugh. It is a funny joke unless you take yourself too seriously.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a funny joke unless you take yourself too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with taking yourself seriously... it's just an awful joke. A Down's patient on mushrooms wouldn't laugh at that joke. The arrogant comment was directed at your remarks preceding the joke, "until you can do that god can..." etc. Is that the christian way to act? Judging people?
Old 11-21-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a funny joke unless you take yourself too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with taking yourself seriously... it's just an awful joke. A Down's patient on mushrooms wouldn't laugh at that joke. The arrogant comment was directed at your remarks preceding the joke, "until you can do that god can..." etc. Is that the christian way to act? Judging people?

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't a judgmental response it was an honest perspective. A bump on a road doesn't mean its not a road.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Nitpicking will get you nowhere. I find him in the sweep of things. But if you want to be anal. Take a look at an ant. One of the tiniest of creatures but God made it the mightiest since it can carry more than 3 times its own weight something even an elephant can't do.
Read the book of Job. See God's reply. When you can do what God does then you can question him, but not until then. Until then you just pray for guidance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the book of Job. It's a joke of a book. Somehow God feels he has to prove himself to Satan and makes a bet that Job would still be a good man without all of his possessions. So God gives Satan the power to make Job's life miserable for a while, and this includes killing all of Job's children. Of course in the end God makes everything right again by giving Job more prosperity than he originally had, but they kind of ignore the part where his KIDS ARE STILL DEAD. But that's ok too because he has new children and his daughters are beautiful, and since children are obviously replaceable possessions everything must be fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hear the 8 track player is gonna make a comeback. Why am I getting the urge to sell you a truckload of them at a great price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since you're soon to be one of the most biblically knowledgable atheists in the world you can thank me in heaven if you manage to act on scripture enough to get there. I hear heaven is wired for surround sound so I pass on your most generous offer to provide me with 8 track tapes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably kidding, but I really am doing some reading. Right I'm on a book about historical Jesus. It's really quite fascinating! Did you know that no one who knew him ever wrote anything down? It was all passed on as stories from one person to another until someone finally decided to write something at least 60 years after his death. And even then, it wasn't until many, many, many years later until a non-Christian wrote anything about Jesus.

The bottom line is that not only isn't there any credible evidence he was divine, but there's no evidence at all that he even claimed to be divine! Several accounts tell of Jesus speaking about the "Son of Man", but never did he refer to himself as the "Son of God" (although he refer to God as the father).
Old 11-21-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Of course not. Nitpicking will get you nowhere. I find him in the sweep of things. But if you want to be anal. Take a look at an ant. One of the tiniest of creatures but God made it the mightiest since it can carry more than 3 times its own weight something even an elephant can't do.
Read the book of Job. See God's reply. When you can do what God does then you can question him, but not until then. Until then you just pray for guidance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the book of Job. It's a joke of a book. Somehow God feels he has to prove himself to Satan and makes a bet that Job would still be a good man without all of his possessions. So God gives Satan the power to make Job's life miserable for a while, and this includes killing all of Job's children. Of course in the end God makes everything right again by giving Job more prosperity than he originally had, but they kind of ignore the part where his KIDS ARE STILL DEAD. But that's ok too because he has new children and his daughters are beautiful, and since children are obviously replaceable possessions everything must be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you ever try looking at it from God's perspective? He can let all those kids into heaven and Job will eventually see them all for all eternity.

But the point of Job is more about all the people who surround you with advice. Sometimes the advice sounds good, sometimes it annoys you, sometimes its a bunch of windbag platitudes, but God says take your problems to God.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hear the 8 track player is gonna make a comeback. Why am I getting the urge to sell you a truckload of them at a great price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since you're soon to be one of the most biblically knowledgable atheists in the world you can thank me in heaven if you manage to act on scripture enough to get there. I hear heaven is wired for surround sound so I pass on your most generous offer to provide me with 8 track tapes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably kidding, but I really am doing some reading. Right I'm on a book about historical Jesus. It's really quite fascinating! Did you know that no one who knew him ever wrote anything down? It was all passed on as stories from one person to another until someone finally decided to write something at least 60 years after his death. And even then, it wasn't until many, many, many years later until a non-Christian wrote anything about Jesus.

The bottom line is that not only isn't there any credible evidence he was divine, but there's no evidence at all that he even claimed to be divine! Several accounts tell of Jesus speaking about the "Son of Man", but never did he refer to himself as the "Son of God" (although he refer to God as the father).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'd have to go back to the OT and read some passages. "Son of Man" is probably an OT pseudonym for the Messaiah, but check out what Peter says in the New Testament regarding Jesus's divinity.

I believe I read somewheres as regards religious texts that many religions that pre-dated Christianity had even longer gaps between the writing of their texts than the gap in the writing of the New Testament. On top of that biblical scholars differ on the actual dating of the Gospels. Some date it earlier than others.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 PM

There has always been a big to-do about whether or not Jesus should be considered divine (obviously, since this is the only real difference between Christianity and Judaism). There was one gospel -I forget which one- that makes no mention of a virgin birth, etc.

There are also many different account of the ressurection, with one having an 8 story tall Jesus coming back from the dead.

There's no doubt about it... Jesus was and continues to be one of the most memorable and talked about people in all of history. And I have to admit, it seems he was a pretty remarkable guy. But...

It's just unimaginable to me how people who have actually read what we really do and do not know about Jesus, can believe what they do about Him. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if most people WERE to actually read up on it, they wouldn't believe most of is said aboutu Him in the NT. You simply couldn't.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? </font>

Even I woudn't say the bible (OT) is a hoax. It's a literary masterpiece. It's just that there isn't an ounce of truth to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its amazing that some people like spendid who are so credulous about some of the nonsense in the bible and the book in the op suddenly become skeptical about anything that doesn't suit them.

Though I doubt the bible is a hoax (bits of it may me). The alternative to hoax is not ID.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to gossip, but it truly is quite an amazing thing, and one reason I continue to stay on this forum is to try and understand why this is.

To base your entire world view on stories written2000 years year ago, by ancient man who didn't know the shape of the planet he stood on, and then to show unwavering incredulity over current day scientists on biological evolution.... I mean, it makes no sense and like I said... It's an amazing thing.