Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: AC scenario!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that a private security firm would offer provide people the opportunity to buy a service to keep them imprisioned, and if it was worth it to pay them rather than be put in danger, people would do it. If enough people have an interest in something and want it done, a possible solution be developed.

[/ QUOTE ]
This would be convenient. Like say you're a rich business owner and you have to deal with a troublesome union boss. You just pay for him to be imprisoned by the security firm.
Or say you're part of a large (but not majority) group of the population who is very strongly opposed to abortion. Pool your money together and start locking up abortion doctors. Or people who slaughter animals. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing the state is around to make sure that kind of nonsense doesn't happen! Oh, wait...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pool your money together and start locking up abortion doctors. Or people who slaughter animals. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing the state is around to make sure that kind of nonsense doesn't happen! Oh, wait...

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think I was saying that jail time for animal abuse is nonsense, then you misread me. I'm saying that everyone using their own standards for deciding who to lock up would be nonsense.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pool your money together and start locking up abortion doctors. Or people who slaughter animals. Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think I was saying that jail time for animal abuse is nonsense, then you misread me. I'm saying that everyone using their own standards for deciding who to lock up would be nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it would quite work that way. Locking up a horde of random strangers would be incredibly expensive. So it's not really everyone that can decide what to lock people up for, just an elite few. And again, this is no different from a state.

But to be quite frank, if a very rich guy started locking up tons of innocent people in AC land...there could very well be some kind of counter-movement that attempts to bring him to justice, or just flat out assassinate him. Remember, when we're talking about AC we're talking about a society that has dissolved the coercive state as we know it. The people are not going to roll over for the first thug who comes out guns a blazing.

Lastly if you're still not satisfied with what I just said (and I'm guessing you're probably not) just know that I can understand the objection and I don't claim AC is fully immune from these kind of problems. It's the common "What if Bill Gates starts killing hobo's?" objection and while these scenarios are certainly possible, I believe it would be the exception, not the rule. Besides, any kind of wrongdoing that happened in these scenarios would pale in comparison to the destruction and misery that is caused by governments.