Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Defending a Good Flop

Okay, you're sitting on a mid pair that catches a set on the flop. There are 2 or 3 players in, but there are two cards to a straight or flush draw on the board. You want to max your payoff, but are vulnerable to being outdrawn. I know there are a lot of details left out like position, preflop action, etc. but is there a general strategy out here...
Old 10-27-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Defending a Good Flop

Bet raise pray. The flushdraws are your friends so use them because nobody is folding.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 PM

are you playing limit or NL...

[ QUOTE ]
I know there are a lot of details left out like position, preflop action, et

[/ QUOTE ]

this is very important in the general strategy ..especially if you were the initial raiser or not
Old 10-27-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you're sitting on a mid pair that catches a set on the flop. There are 2 or 3 players in, but there are two cards to a straight or flush draw on the board. You want to max your payoff, but are vulnerable to being outdrawn. I know there are a lot of details left out like position, preflop action, etc. but is there a general strategy out here...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can fold a set you could always try to keep the pot small or just check hoping for the flush card that pairs the board to come... I would bet the pot or overbet the pot on the flop and see where it goes from there.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can fold a set you could always try to keep the pot small or just check hoping for the flush card that pairs the board to come... I would bet the pot or overbet the pot on the flop and see where it goes from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really dont like overbetting because you rly want ppl to chase their Flush draws (when your not giving them good odds ofcourse)...but if you think a player would call an overbet then its fine..(but remember your looking to get called) ...
Old 10-27-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

advocating checking and hoping the turn bricks is a terrible idea. you want to build a bot w/a set. they are less likely to put $ in on the turn than flop, unless they have hit.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:22 PM

It's always better to win a small pot than to lose a big one.

Protect your hand.

Bet the pot size, if you get any callers, look VERY hard for any possible 2-cards-to-a-straight possibilites and also if a 3rd flush card comes be careful as well.

Tricky part: If there are straight and flush draws out and the flush hits and the straights miss, don't panic, bet about 2/3 the pot and hope he missed his straight, if he raises, he was flush drawing and you fold.