Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:02 PM

Default Hitting AK Early

Okay, how do you deal with this?

AKo from UTG at 100NL.

I go in for 5 BB and mysteriously get four callers (including the BB). All information so far is that everyone is between 18-25% VPIP, so I'm surprised at all the calls.

Flop comes A106. First in, I bet $13 (pots at 20+). First two drop, BB calls.

Turn is a blank (3). I bet 20, he raises to 40.

Your move?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Hitting AK Early

Uh, suits of the board?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM

i call the raise and check call the river. Would fold on river to a pot sized bet or a push. I think you should be worried about a set.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Set is possible, A10:AK is possible... Maybe straight draw KQ:KJ|QJ?

The odds are pretty good here that he's on at LEAST a paired ace, and given his VPIP I'm going to assume it's not necessarily a weak one.

You're kinda committed to that turn bet though. Eat it and pray.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Okay, I just wanted to make sure I made the right play. I dont think in the history of my playing cards I've been able to drop this hand on the flop like this.

I chase, then check the river. He goes all in, I grumble and push, and he, of course, flips the tens.

I just wanted to make sure that, while painful, this wasn't a bad move to make, and not really much else could be done. I was worried, but I didn't figure on sixes...I was hoping for a counterfeited Ax from him, but again,didn't have much of a read on him at the time.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Actually, the board was Ah, 10s, 6d.

So now the question is, what if villain had raised from 14 to 28-30 or something on the flop? Fold? That would be a freakin' hard laydown for me, and I don't think I could swing it...but what's the play?
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM

If he goes over the top on the flop as you suggested, I'm easily folding. Given his range, it probably isn't worth the call.

There would definitely be better opportunities to get your money in, that's for sure.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, how do you deal with this?

AKo from UTG at 100NL.

I go in for 5 BB and mysteriously get four callers (including the BB). All information so far is that everyone is between 18-25% VPIP, so I'm surprised at all the calls.

Flop comes A106. First in, I bet $13 (pots at 20+). First two drop, BB calls.

Turn is a blank (3). I bet 20, he raises to 40.

Your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I think BB is a thinking player (which it sounds like he probably is), I fold this. I really don't even think it's close. What do we put BB that we can beat? I think a straight draw check raises the flop, not the turn, and cetainly not a min raise. AK, 2 pair, and sets are most likely. Do we really think a worse Ace c/c's the flop, and c/r the turn?

Dave
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 PM

You should state the stack sizes. They matter a lot. In the following, I will assume the effective stack size is 100 big blinds.

In limit, you can value bet each street with TPTK. In NL, bets, raises, and calls represent much more strength. When the third bet goes in, it is quite common for one pair to be behind. On a dry board, you may want to try lines like betting the flop, checking the turn, and betting the river.

Against a passive opponent, I'd fold to the check-raise. A lot of passive players will not raise with a weaker hand, and will make a minimum raise with monster hands. The odds of improving or splitting are not enough. Against an unknown NL $100 opponent, I think I would call the turn check-raise, and fold to a substantial river bet unimproved. Against an opponent who is aggressive with marginal hands, and who may think I am aggressive with marginal hands due to my past actions, I may push.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I chase, then check the river. He goes all in, I grumble and push, and he, of course, flips the tens.

[/ QUOTE ]
This order contradicts the hand description you gave earlier. If you are UTG, you have position on the big blind, and he can't act after you have checked on the river.