Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Chicago -- Resorts vs. Majestic Star 1/2 or 1/3 NL

Question -- going to be slumming it in Chicago this week. Which room is better for entry-level NL weekday nights? Do both rooms have autoshufflers? Thanks for any help.

later,
illmatic
Old 11-27-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Chicago -- Resorts vs. Majestic Star 1/2 or 1/3 NL

I take the 1/3 majestic any day. I only play the 1/2 when on the list to play the 20/40 LHE at resorts seems to have less money on the table and be alittle nitty there is always a 5/10 1000 max going where at majestic the 300max is the big game most of the time. There are almost always $1000 plus stacks on the table the resorts 1-2 not the case.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 PM

I play both rooms frequently so I’ll take this question.
Both rooms are no smoking; both have bars close by so drink service is decent. Both rooms allow you to call in up to 1 hour ahead to go on the list- you need to take advantage of this to cut down on wait time. Both have about 20 tables. Dealers are about the same in both rooms , maybe a little bit better at MS. Chip cages in both rooms. Most tables have auto shufflers.

Resorts:
• Less space in between tables, room is much more cramped.
• Resorts has not kept the room up vs. Majestic Star. Room is a little more run down, but not terribly so.
• 1,2 buy in is 100 min/300 max, or 150 BB’s.
• More donkeys, which is fine as long as the donkeys aint hitting. If they hit, variance is a mother.
• Gotta go downstairs to get some decent food, but you can order some crappy sandwiches at the table.
• Resorts gears itself more toward the high limit players, so sometimes lower limit games are tougher to get on, but not a real bad problem.
• Has lost ground to MS over the last couple of years, fewer players, tables break up earlier late at night.

Majestic Star
• Much more room in between tables, room is bigger overall.
• Room is in much better shape, newer tables/carpets/flat screens
• 1,2 buy in 40 min/100 max (50 BB). This is the number one drawback with MS, the buy ins are screwed up. You can’t play poker, set mine, or bluff properly. Think about it; normal raise is 12-15 dollars; you raise preflop, a couple of fish call, and you’re pretty much pot committed with any c-bet. Too many hands become all in fests.
• Caters to lower limit players, generally more poker players in the room at a given time. Players are marginally better, but clearly beatable.
• Grill next to poker room, great sandwiches.
• Room is better run, has gained in business over the last two years vs Resorts.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:04 AM

Thanks for the input guys, you rock