Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 AM

Default Live 1/2 NL TP + flush draw

Sup y'all, first night back playin some live NL in about 1 year. I learned that I was quite rusty and was hoping for some feedback seeing as I'm going to try to play a little more regularly now.

After ~2hrs of play I have a TAG image and have not shown a single hand. Table is loose preflop. Villain can be characterized as quite loose; good, but not great.

Hero: ~$300
Villain: covers Hero

Villain is UTG+1 and calls BB. 2 calls. Hero (A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) in LP raises to $12. Button calls. BB calls. Villain calls. MP calls.

Flop (~$60/5 players): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Check to villain who bets $25. Folds to Hero who raises to $75. Folds back to Villain who calls.

Hero: ~$210
Villain: covers Hero

Turn (~$210/2 players): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain pushes all-in. Hero: ???

Results: <font color="white">Hero calls. River is blank. Villain turns over J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the win. </font>

My analysis: <font color="white">I was quite confident that villain did not flop a flush as I feel that he would have slow-played a flopped flush by checking the flop since the table had been slow-playing big hands all night. I thought him having a set was a possibility as well. I didn't think two pair was a high possibility. Definitely, didn't see the gut shot straight. I thought his most likely holding was a Queen for the top pair, with another [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Did I make a mistake by not raising the flop to something more like $100-$110 instead of just $75? If villain still calls a flop raise of $100-$110 (which he likely would have given the way he was playing) that makes the pot on the turn = $260-$270 and leaving me about $175 behind. What should then be my plan for a non-[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn?</font>

Comments appreciated.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Live 1/2 NL TP + flush draw

Bumped for any input.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Live 1/2 NL TP + flush draw

He's a chaser who lucked out - he calls a pot sized bet (almost) with a gutshot and drawing to the non-nuts flush draw. I don't think anything but an all-in might have got him to go away - but even that might not have done it.

As far as the turn goes... well you say that you didn't put him on the flopped flush (he would slow play) but with his bet of less than half the pot it looks like he's trying to controll the bet amount to get better odds to hit a draw - he must be pretty sure that his J is the best club out there. Then the straight hits and he bets the farm on the turn - warning signs.

At this point the only thing you can beat is a Q with a worse kicker - or a worse pair. He asks you to call a pot sized bet (giving you 2:1 on a 5:1 shot) and you pay him off. You say you missed seeing the gutshot (it happens) but the odds still were not right for many of the other hands he might have had. You only had tp/tk - with a DRAW to the nuts and maybe an A if you put him on 2 pair or the 3rd queen (which if he had a flopped set would give him a boat).

A gutsy move (or dumb) on his part - he obviously didn't put you on a made flush. But you where not pot comitted so let it go.

Just my thoughts.