Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Default Where do you get your News?

In order to formulate an opinion or understand anything regarding any topic/ideology/conflict/current event/etc. it's prudent to gather as much information there is on the subject using sources with many different points of view.

Where do you seek information from when you want to find out about domestic (U.S.) and global current events, politics, and news in general?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Where do you get your News?

I read as many sources as possible day to day. All the major US newspapers, journals, off the wall stuff like CBC, basically anything I can find. I know thats pretty vague, but thats sort of the point. Take as much in as you possibly can, because then you gain valuable perspective and context.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:15 PM

TV

i'll occasionally watch CNN or Fox News. but i feel like television news is more for entertainment nowadays than actually providing solid info from various perspectives. perhaps this has something to do with how ratings-driven media outlets have become.

i like tim russert's meet the press program on sundays. used to watch some o'reilly factor until about 4-5 yrs ago. will occasionally catch the bbc world news on pbs or some other public type channel.

Newspapers

dont read much of the newspaper. occasionally i'll pick up the new york times, but thats it. i tend to read magazines more often. time newsweek economist for the most part.

Internet

this is where i am really interested in what people have to say b/c this is the area where i would like to expand my perspective the most. i'll just mention a few sites that i frequent. cnn, yahoo news, google news, drudge report, the guardian. i bet there are a ton of excellent news blogs out there as well.

i'd like to be able to get a good collection of sites that i can visit on the regular to get info regarding a topic from both sides. for ex, a couple of good repub blogs balanced with a couple of good dem blogs; a news site that might lean slightly in favor of the israelis & a news site that might lean towards the palestinians.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TV

i'll occasionally watch CNN or Fox News. but i feel like television news is more for entertainment nowadays than actually providing solid info from various perspectives. perhaps this has something to do with how ratings-driven media outlets have become.

i like tim russert's meet the press program on sundays. used to watch some o'reilly factor until about 4-5 yrs ago. will occasionally catch the bbc world news on pbs or some other public type channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, or many of the programs on CSPAN that follow current events and relevant political topics like Washington Journal, Q&A, Booknotes, America & the Courts, Road to the White House, etc. Obviously the Sunday morning programs like MTP are necessary viewing, but that's because they (in some ways) make as much news as they report, particularly if Russert is interviewing someone like VP Cheney.

It should also be noted political magazines are often viable informtation sources if you're merely trying to glean perspectives -- The Weekly Standard, The Nation, National Review, etc. -- none of which are objective but all of which feature contributions from notable authors and pundits.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM

Since Im more familiar with conservative ones, I'll list some popular ones. Dont feel like doing URL code, you'll find them easily with the names.

Captains Quarters
Powerline
National Review Online
Weekly Standard Online
FrontPage Magazine
Claremont Institute (one of my favorites by far, highly recommend).
Hugh Hewitt

For economics:
Marginal Revolution
Asymmetrical Information
Greg Mankiw
EconLog(Kling and Caplan)
Coyote Blog (more of a libertarian/AC blog, not all economics but pretty good)
Don Boudreaux (spelling might be off, forget the name of the blog)
Brad DeLong (lefty economist)

If interested, I can provide some that are more of a religious/theological bent.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM

V'row-

Thanks for that list. I'll be sure to check them out and add a few to my roll to get a better conservative perspective on things.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:45 PM

www.lewrockwell.com
www.mises.org
www.prisonplanet.com
www.strike-the-root.com

the blogosphere
youtube
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM

Also good are the Washington-insider publications/websites, which follow Congressional activity and the Washington political scene -- The Hill, Roll Call, Congressional Quarterly, and Hotline spring immediately to mind.

If you're interested in campaign and election news, obviously The Political Wire is every-day must-reading; the Cook Political Report, The Rothenberg Political Report, CQPolitics.com (the Congressional Quarterly's campaign/election news site), Electoral-vote.com are all excellent and worthy of your time.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM

Nielsio- re: youtube; anything/anyone specific I should keep a regular eye on?

DV- good stuff.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 PM

NY Times, LA Times, WSJ daily

Channel surfing the cable news shows, except Olbermann. Just the sound of his voice is enough to turn me off to TV for a week.