Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: i got sexied by a slovenian

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the thing: I bet when you bet the river, you knew that betting the river was wrong. Right? Tell the truth. It will be a good experience. When you bet the river, you only bet the river because you said to yourself "Well, I have top pair top kicker and he checked to me on the river so I have to bet." that is why you bet the river. Am I right? But in your gut, you knew that betting the river was wrong. You wanted to check the river, I bet. I will bet anything that you really wanted to check the river but you would have felt like a wimp if your hand was good and you didn't bet the river so you bet the river and then when you got check raised you wanted to show that you could still play good so you folded to the check-raise even though, I mean, all his play so far in this hand is consistent with another AK, especially the AK of clubs. 15 to 1 that he doesn't have that. I dunno. Am I right about all this? I mean I read your posts, I know you play good. Did you really, deep in your heart, feel that betting that river was a good bet? Did you really want to bet that river? Did you press bet feeling like it was a good bet? Were you happy when he checked the river and did you say to yourself, yes! Woo and you pressed bet happily? Or did you bet because you had top pair top kicker and you got checked ot on the river and that's what you do when you get checked to on the river on a not-scary board with top pair top kicker and you knew you shouldn't bet but you bet anyway and you knew that raise was coming and you went god damn it and you folded because you knew you shouldn't have bet in the first place? I like to think about these things, so I'm interested in knowing the answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, to tell you the truth, i hesitated for a moment, thinking maybe i should check behind, but then i thought i probably have value in a bet, as i do have top pair top kicker and his check is kind of wierd here, so i bet, i wasnt totally sure about it, i didnt have a plan layed out for what i am going to do if he raises, i now think that bet was a mistake, mainly because if he is a good handreader, it should be fairly clear that i have either TPTK or possibly aces and that i would likely bet if checked to

when he raised, i figured that he figured my likely hands are AK or AA, and it seemed that AK was beat, i dont think that he would think that i would fold AK here, and it seemed that i was getting owned, i couldnt really put him on a hand that would do this other than aces or kings, or maybe something with a 3 in it that he overplayed preflop, but i probably should have checked behind to avoid this situation, or just payed it off since the pot was pretty big at this point

very nice posts by the way, they were good reads, and something to think about in terms of trying to think about my actions and play well in practice

anyway, he told me he had 45c, but i dont know if i believe him or not

i dont necessarily agree with people saying that i overplayed this on other streets, i think that up until the turn 3-bet, there are a lot of holdings like weaker kings and draws and such that i am ahead of, and i dont think he folds an underpair, but he might
Old 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM

I'd only bet the river if I was going to pay off a checkraise. This guy sounds unpredictable and you only have to have 5.6% equity against his hand range to call.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 PM

i havent spoken with you about strategy for several months so its quite possible youve grown quite a bit since then. in that case i apologize for insulting you. but back then however, there were alot of things that you would do that id talk to respected posters about and many of them felt your fundamentals were flawed. you knew that many of the things you would do would go against the grain of twoplustwo theorem, but you felt that you were right. a simple example of this would be your ideas on openlimping. while i disagreed with your thoughts, i still thought it was quite possible that perhaps you understood some things that the collective forums didnt, and when someone thinks differently i think its a good idea to listen. many of the people i spoke to were very hesistant to give you the same credit. you seem to have a tough time articulating your thoughts because every variation from standard play that you make is based on "feel". maybe your fundamentals have grown since speaking with you several months ago but back then i do believe there were certainly some things that needed improvement.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 PM

Hizzle,

I think your play was fine too, especially if you're aware of the moment-to-moment dynamics involved in playing against a Lbujujubuian, which it sounds like you were. Although, I would have paid off the check-raise on the end for sure.

-N
Old 03-20-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he may be fibbing.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:22 PM

The openlimping and such were experiments. I don't do it at all anymore. I'll do a lot of that sort of thing. Think something may be good, try it, see that it sucks and stop doing it. Of course, I've also learned a lot of new things because of that. My play has grown a lot since a few months ago. Did you see any of my videos?

I view it as growing up... when I was a freshman in high school, I thought I was the [censored]. The next year I realized how much of a [censored] I was last year and this year, I will be better and not make the same mistakes. Then junior year, I have the same revelations. I think I'm reaching the peak of my limit hold'em ability right now. If I could only keep my emotions in check...
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he may be fibbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certainly. I would expect him to show 45cc.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM

no i havent seen any of your videos or anyone elses in a long time other than a few coaching sessions ive done.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 PM

I think you would be very surprised at how I actually play... I don't have any of them on my laptop and they're all expired. If you'd like to see one, PM me in about a week when I'm back from LA.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM

Against this player, I would actually fold that river 0% of the time. Seriously. Basically never. After all that aggression, he basically knows you have a pair. I would think that in his eyes a flush draw is not likely for you, given your history with him. You called the turn, so you are likely calling one more bet on the river. So...

If he is looking for value, c/ring the river is pretty greedy, but not out of the question. If he was on a semibluff, that is the only way he wins that pot.

I try not to go overboard with levels of thinking in these games (specifically the big games on party), but I think that giving in to aggression late in a hand against someone you know to be able to make moves is to be avoided. Villain does not sound like a BAD poker player. Just somewhat non-traditional and selectively overaggressive. He has shown bluffs, and you have a history together, so he knows you know he is capable of moves. So he knows you know he knows this, so maybe you will fold the river. He also knows you are weary of being outplayed. You are the exact player against whom the river c/r bluff can work, so you should call.