Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Skipping blinds for position

This may come off as dopey, because I'm sure I'm not the first to try it. But I noticed while playing FTP today that I could sit out the blinds, and then sit back in three hands later for the same price. (Three, because that's the soonest it would let me back in.) Except for that same price, I gained position. So instead off having my pocket picked twice out of position, I had it picked once while in position.

I only tried it a couple of times, but is there any long-term strategy to playing like that? The only downsides I could see were that I missed three hands, and lost the opportunity to be on the button. And I suppose if everyone was doing it, it would become ridiculous. But given the emphasis on position, it seems like there's an edge somewhere in there.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Skipping blinds for position

I don't think there's value in skipping the blinds. You're just as likely to be dealt AA or KK in the blinds as you are in the cutoff...so why not take the cards?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM

I make more on the button that I lose in the blinds so it would be -EV for me.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make more on the button that I lose in the blinds so it would be -EV for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Add in those few times you're delt AA & KK in the blinds, and you miss out on a lot of $$$.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 PM

Keep doing it and someone will get mad and report you and the site will warn you.

Interesting theory question possibly, but real life I wouldn't try it.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:27 PM

at a full 9 player you would be posting in CO (im assuming FT doesnt give yo the button) and paying 1 big blind for 6 hands or 1.5 for 9 hands. hmmmm..show me the value?

also you never get the button and if you are a good player you are giving up the chance to win money against weaker players for every hand you sitout.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Add in those few times you're delt AA & KK in the blinds, and you miss out on a lot of $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

You lose money in the blinds. If I had the option to skip the blinds with no penalty, I would do so in an instant, even if it means giving up a few AA/KK. This is because for every AA you skip, you skip 20 garbage hands that you would have been forced to put money in 'blind'.

The reason this practice isn't profitable is because you also give up the button.
I also believe you have to post the SB at most sites, so you don't save any money (but do have the benefit of the forced bet being in position). But as mentioned, losing the button is really bad.