Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Sit \'n Go Strategy study group -- Part I: Low Blind Play

Here's a link relative to this topic from SSNL. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

I'll be back in a little to comment.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM

It looks like you got a good start. I should have been a little more specific in defining the cases. They fall into two broad categories.

<ul type="square">[*]1) Things that might happen if you play the hand[*]2) Things that might happen if you fold the hand[/list]
If you play the hand, the possibilities are...
<ul type="square">[*] a) You win the t45 from the blinds[*] b) win t100 from one player[*] c) lose t100 to one player[*] d) win t500 from one player[*] e) lose t500 to one player[*] f) stack one player[*] g) you get stacked[*] h) you and another player lose t100 and t500, respectively, to a third player[/list]
If you fold the hand, the possibilities are...
<ul type="square">[*] a) one other player picks up the t45 from the blinds[*] b) two other players play a t200 pot after you fold[*] c) two other players play a t1000 pot after you fold[*] d) two other players play a t3000 pot after you fold[/list]
OK, now go through the exercise of guessing probabilities and calculating prize pool equities (a spreadsheet is good for this... I think there is a link in one of the stickies). You will be able to compare the $EV of playing versus folding. It's the same thing you might do for a cash game hand except the additional step of tournament prize pool equity modeling complicates things.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 PM

I think your play with the suited connectors is reasonable though I think it is easy to waste a lot of chips playing them early. Also I personaly trash my Ax suited hands as I do not want to be paying to draw at the lower levels. I will however call a standard raise with a small pair hoping to hit a set and stack someone with top pair.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, now go through the exercise of guessing probabilities and calculating prize pool equities (a spreadsheet is good for this... I think there is a link in one of the stickies).

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this the spreadsheet you mean?

"Tourney Manager Companion Spreadsheet companion to Tourney Manager that can be used to track bankroll and graph results. Freeware, by Slim Pickens (hosted by http://sngicons.com/software.php)" [from the "tools" sticky]

If yes, either the link is broken or all 800+ people who've looked at this thread are trying to DL it. Is it hosted anywhere else, or if this is the wrong sheet could you point me to the correct one?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OK, now go through the exercise of guessing probabilities and calculating prize pool equities (a spreadsheet is good for this... I think there is a link in one of the stickies).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I mean find a spreadsheet that has an ICM calculation function in it. I will try to figure out where I got the one I have and post a link. If anyone knows a place to get one, please post the link.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:53 PM

I haven't read the book; but I'm sure there must be something there about c-betting at low blind levels. What are the min requirements for c-betting at levels 1/2?

I think this links in neatly with the work done here so far on loosening up early. I used to have a rigid rule of not c-betting whiffed flops, now I am happy to bet into certain villains, or on certain flops. Eg Villain is tight reg multitabler with position(ie I raise 3BB from MP, he called from LP), we are HU. Flop comes A high, I hold 99. I am prepared to bet 5BB into that flop.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I mean find a spreadsheet that has an ICM calculation function in it. I will try to figure out where I got the one I have and post a link. If anyone knows a place to get one, please post the link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw it. I can't find it. Email me and I'll send it to you. My email address is in my profile.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM

Thanks for the spreadsheet, Slim.

I'd like some comments from those who've read the book, here, please.

Most of the example hands in Part 1 illustrate what to experienced SnG players are probably standard plays, and Slim, I think it was you who termed Part 1 a manual for staying out of trouble. Hand 1-11 is an example where Collin didn't stay out of trouble, though. I've read the hand a number of times and I'm not sure I agree with Collin that the hand warrants a raise, even taking position and prior players' actions into account. I'd limp and set mine here.

At this stage of the tourney, how big a mistake am I making?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the book; but I'm sure there must be something there about c-betting at low blind levels. What are the min requirements for c-betting at levels 1/2?

I think this links in neatly with the work done here so far on loosening up early. I used to have a rigid rule of not c-betting whiffed flops, now I am happy to bet into certain villains, or on certain flops. Eg Villain is tight reg multitabler with position(ie I raise 3BB from MP, he called from LP), we are HU. Flop comes A high, I hold 99. I am prepared to bet 5BB into that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I first learnt about SNG's was from Sprstoner's blog. A high stakes pro who has since moved to cash/tournies. He followed this rule and as such so did I , I now C-bet AK type hands in position about 1/2 the time. Below is a typical example of an overbet c-bet that I use pretty frequently too.

5-Handed 50/100

Ryot (13-1400): AK opens to 300
Folds
Co (2000): Calls
Folds

Flop 378r

Ryot goes allin 1100
Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

5-Handed 50/100

Ryot (13-1400): AK opens to 300
Folds
Co (2000): Calls
Folds

Flop 378r

Ryot goes allin 1100

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems unnecessary as you are either a 3:1 favorite or a 3:1 underdog, with nothing in between, and the flop texture makes that very transparent. Continuation bets are for flops where you can make the best hand fold.