Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Sit \'N Go strategy-reviews?

I purchased the book today and will start reading it later. By no means am I an SNG expert, but I have beaten the 11's and 12's at FTP and UB.

However, I have been focusing on MTTs more in the past 6 months. Recently though I am have been wanting to get back into SNGs. I thought that this book would be a good jumping off point to get me back into the SNG groove.

I will give my review after I get the book read. Don't look for anything in depth from me, I will simply give you may take on it.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:52 PM

I rarely play SNGs anymore but I enjoy learning poker so I bought the book. I can say that as an average skill SNG player it is definitely a very good book and helps shed light on situations where I would normally be very confused about what to do. Obviously advanced players will be able to find points that conflict with their own ideas, or maybe ponts that would be blatantly wrong in the particular games they play. But for a beginning player who only knew of ICM as three random letters before reading, it is an excellent book. That's not to say I'll ever play SNGs regularly because they're boring as hell to me, but if I ever need a break from cash games I'd certainly pick up this book again before I got started.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 PM

Isn't Collin Moshman the lead singer for the Decemberists?

just my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All the hate forhim and the book is justified.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. What a crock of sh*t.

Writing a book they don't like does not justify hate.

My read on the situation, based on limited info, is that these guys were pissed off because they always intended to write a book, never got around to finishing it, and then this guy appeared from nowhere with a deal from 2+2. If it isn't as good as it should have been, that probably just rubs more salt in their wounds. Jealousy, bitterness, resentment.

They were pissed off well before they saw the content of the book.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We want someone with a clue editing, reviewing, and writing the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys write your own book then.

Why would people who think they are the experts on sit and goes, want an expert level book in the public domain, written by someone else.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You guys write your own book then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop acting stupidly. It is completely rational for me and others to want the book to be as well made as possible. That clearly isn't the case with this book.

[ QUOTE ]

Why would people who think they are the experts on sit and goes, want an expert level book in the public domain, written by someone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop trying to pick fights. Your responses are very clearly irrational and/or wrong.

I don't even play SNGs anymore, a book can't convey how to put players on ranges(the only part of a SNG that isn't purely mathematical), and because no matter how good it is nearly everyone who reads it will halfass it in application and won't perform the thousands of ICM calculations necessary to really learn the game.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My read on the situation, based on limited info, is that these guys were pissed off because they always intended to write a book, never got around to finishing it

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut the [censored] up if you only have limited info. Only a couple of posters had any interest in writing a book. One actually pitched the idea to Mason well before Collin and was rejected. He made only 1 post that I can recall about the book and it wasn't irrationally hateful.

Collin's book was only accepted because 2+2 had nothing better going on and had he pitched the idea mere weeks before or after he too would have been rejected.

[ QUOTE ]

They were pissed off well before they saw the content of the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some were, but you're clearly misconstruing the whole situation. Most, like myself, expressed doubt that the book would be any good and thought that it would be of no use to intermediate to good players. There were a few who irrationally said the book would be terrible, but again, most took a wait and see approach.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:15 AM

i've red the book yesterday and i only have one conclusion: i'm playing way below my own level.

I have mixed feelings after reading this book;

i just realized my strategy is almost exactly the same as in this book, and i'm just a low level sng player building up a bankroll.
I do make minor mistakes because of 10 tabling and also not adapting as well to the playing styles of the table, wich i don't think is a big deal in the low level sng's because i play against overall (bad) players making much standard decisions.

On the other hand thanks to this book and the inside in the high level sng play i have a lot less fear to take some shots at higher levels and move up a lot faster.
I really expected to see some multilevel thinking and adaption (in strategy) on the high level sng's but i now see it's still quite straight forward strategy wich must mean there are still bad players at the high stakes gambling or making mistakes.

Overall i have to say this is a very good book and should turn a sng player in a winning one especially at the lower stakes.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Collin's book was only accepted because 2+2 had nothing better going on and had he pitched the idea mere weeks before or after he too would have been rejected.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's exactly what happened. When Collin first contacted me I told him we couldn't even look at his manuscript because we were completely committed. But then two of our book projects had unexpected delays. In fact, they were both sent back to their authors for more work.

This meant that all of a sudden, and unexpectedly, we had the time to work in another book providing the book was well written and wouldn't require a long editing process as some of our manuscripts do.

So I re-contacted Collin and requested that he go ahead and send me the manuscript for us to look at. If he would have replied it's not ready, but I can send it in a month, then we wouldn't have been able to work on it, and since we were working on other books, we couyldn't have done it sooner. But it just so happened that an unexpected window of time opened for us, his manuscript was ready to go, and it was well written making it an easy edit meaning we would have enough time to get it done. So in that sense Collin was very lucky.

Finally, I don't think the poster who pitched the possibility of a sit 'n go book to us was rejected. I think he was told we have to first see a completed manuscript, and because of all the other publishing committments it would be tough to fit it in. You need to understand that we get pitched books all the time, frequently by agents representing the latest tournament stars, and this is exactly what we tell them.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM

How about a reading the book together as a study group? Keep that thread in this forum rather than in the STTF and allow the "criticizers" to voice their opinions as we work our way through the text. I bet that Collin would participate as long as it didn't develop into a shouting match.

I like the book, but I by no means consider myself a polished SnG player. I'd really appreciate a discussion where people who have read the book (and who are accomplished SnG players) could comment on those areas where it might be improved.

HOH hadn't been out for more than 20 minutes before there was a study group. I'd certainly participate in one for this book.