Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Default So, here is my plan ... poker,travel,motorcycles crazy? possible?

Back in January I got this crazy idea to sell all of my stuff and buy a motorcycle and travel around the states. I kept wondering how I would be able to pay for gas a food everyday, obviously. I have an old Starcraft buddy who went on to play poker and was able to earn a living off of it. So ... I thought maybe that would be a way for me to be able to put my traveling dream into motion. He plays NL so that is what I started with also. I am still playing with the $50 I stuck in a few months ago. Before then I had never played a single hand of poker. I found LH about two months ago though and fell in love with it. I have been just playing .05/.10 games though, nothing higher until I depost more $. I have read and studied ToP, HFAP, and SSHE. I also read this site all the time and study many of the posts in this and SSSH forum. I haven't played more than 10 or 15 thousand hands though. I definitely read and study way more than I play, mainly because I don’t have the internet at my house or a desktop computer. I just sold a lot of things though so I have $800 to play either FR or SH limit. I look at the money as a freeroll and will not play scared with it at all. I play at AP and PS but I’m not sure which site to put the $800 into. I do have a rakeback deal at AP. I have a laptop, so I figured I would play in any city or town I stop at for a few hours a day, and stay at a hotel one or two nights a week and play all day and night then. All pointers, warnings, insights, etc will be much appreciated! Do you think LH would be a feasible way to make a few bucks a day? I would probably play $1/2 FR and .5/1 SH. I know I could easily hit a slump and not make any $ for a month straight, so I do have a buffer of about $1000 to sit on if that happens. Oh ya, I am 25 and have no obligations and nothing to lose. I figure I only need $10 or $20 a day to live. Once I get going (in September) I think I will keep a log on the net of my poker/motorcycle travels.

p.s. Sorry if this doesn't really flow to well, I am at work and just typed it up during my slow hour.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: So, here is my plan ... poker,travel,motorcycles crazy? possible?

[ QUOTE ]
Back in January I got this crazy idea to sell all of my stuff and buy a motorcycle and travel around the states.

I kept wondering how I would be able to pay for gas a food everyday, obviously. I have an old Starcraft buddy who went on to play poker and was able to earn a living off of it.

So ... I thought maybe that would be a way for me to be able to put my traveling dream into motion. He plays NL so that is what I started with also.

I am still playing with the $50 I stuck in a few months ago. Before then I had never played a single hand of poker. I found LH about two months ago though and fell in love with it. I have been just playing .05/.10 games though, nothing higher until I depost more $.

I have read and studied ToP, HFAP, and SSHE. I also read this site all the time and study many of the posts in this and SSSH forum. I haven't played more than 10 or 15 thousand hands though. I definitely read and study way more than I play, mainly because I don’t have the internet at my house or a desktop computer.

I just sold a lot of things though so I have $800 to play either FR or SH limit. I look at the money as a freeroll and will not play scared with it at all. I play at AP and PS but I’m not sure which site to put the $800 into. I do have a rakeback deal at AP. I have a laptop, so I figured I would play in any city or town I stop at for a few hours a day, and stay at a hotel one or two nights a week and play all day and night then.

All pointers, warnings, insights, etc will be much appreciated! Do you think LH would be a feasible way to make a few bucks a day? I would probably play $1/2 FR and .5/1 SH. I know I could easily hit a slump and not make any $ for a month straight, so I do have a buffer of about $1000 to sit on if that happens.

Oh ya, I am 25 and have no obligations and nothing to lose. I figure I only need $10 or $20 a day to live. Once I get going (in September) I think I will keep a log on the net of my poker/motorcycle travels.

p.s. Sorry if this doesn't really flow to well, I am at work and just typed it up during my slow hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better
Old 07-27-2007, 08:30 PM

who is your starcraft buddy? Rekrul?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM

I think you're vastly underestimating the amunt of money you'll need to live on each day. I've done plenty of traveling by motorcycle and estimate you'll need about $150 - $200 per day (including gasoline, travel expenses, food and lodging) rather than the $10 or $20 you mention if you intend on sticking to motels with high-speed internet access. Knock $50 off if you are camping.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:45 AM

Good luck in your quest. Maximise your earnings by taking advantage of bonuses and rakeback.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think LH would be a feasible way to make a few bucks a day?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not one of the Two Plus Two experts, but it sounds doable to me. Many of today's young players learned on the Internet, and then started playing at brick and mortar sites. Maybe consider studying at home and playing on the Internet for a while before you hit the road.

[ QUOTE ]
I figure I only need $10 or $20 a day to live.

[/ QUOTE ]
QuickLearner makes a good point. I've stayed in many hotels and motels for under $10/night, but not in recent decades.

[ QUOTE ]
Once I get going (in September) I think I will keep a log on the net of my poker/motorcycle travels.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard that there's a lot of poker played at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, and that one can make good money there. I do know that costs such as camping, motels, and restaurants are exceedingly high, so plan carefully.

If you're unfamiliar with this rally, you can get information from a motorcycle magazine or from the web. The rally begins about a week before the official date, which I believe is always the first Monday of August.

Next year you'll have a lot more poker experience, and you'll be able to plan ahead. If you attend, I hope you make a lot of money, and enjoy yourself there. I'm not a biker, but I might attend it next year for the poker. Look me up. I'll be by the ATM. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I wish you the best – good luck and good skill. Keep in touch. Let us know how you're doing, or the URL of that log.

I've been playing poker since childhood, and I've played on the Internet (Full Tilt, Paradise, Party, Poker Room, Poker Stars, and Ultimate Bet). However, I still occasionally have trouble with abbreviations. Would you please let me know what these mean – SSSH, FR, SH, and AP. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you please let me know what these mean – SSSH, FR, SH, and AP.

[/ QUOTE ]

SSSH = small stakes shorthanded
FR = full ring
SH = shorthanded
AP = Absolute Poker.

I think.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Thanks, DiamondDog.