Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Swallowing Pride and asking for help

Would it be worth trying to build a bankroll at higher limits? I feel pretty confident that I can beat a higher limit game but then again I don't want to put too much stress on each session which I could see being the motivation behind dropping down a level. I guess I'm asking what you guys would do if you already had a good amount of hands under your belt and wanted to build a bankroll with moderate skill. Would .50/1.00 be too much stress if I can beat it for a decent amount?

Thanks for all the insights on other resources. The sklansky book has been on my radar for awhile so I'll move it to the front of the list. Harrington as well...I'll be kickinaround in these forums...
Old 07-24-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be worth trying to build a bankroll at higher limits? I feel pretty confident that I can beat a higher limit game but then again I don't want to put too much stress on each session which I could see being the motivation behind dropping down a level. I guess I'm asking what you guys would do if you already had a good amount of hands under your belt and wanted to build a bankroll with moderate skill. Would .50/1.00 be too much stress if I can beat it for a decent amount?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow me to quote someone whose opinion should mean a lot to you: You! This is from your original post:

"i am decent at putting people on hands and 7.5/10 times I can run my 100 dollar buy in to at least 200 and sometimes 400 bucks. However I generally develop a leak there and lose all the way back to 100 if not to 0."

I think yo've already tried building your bankroll that way. How's it working for you so far? Harv72b nailed your question when he said this:

"Don't play games that you can't afford to lose at, because no matter how good you are, there are going to be sessions where you lose. That means picking out a very low starting level and staying there while you grind out the tens of thousands of hands it should take you to establish yourself as a statistically probable long-term winner, as well as to grow your bankroll to where you can withstand normal variance at the next highest level."

If the only thing that will make you happy is to move up and try to make a big score, then have at it. You're not the first, and it may even work. But don't be too disappointed if you continue to lose your stake.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM

Thanks for putting it that way. I'm gonna kick around the micros for a little bit and go from there...